danalec99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm thinking about getting one soon.
Any comments/negatives?

Thanks! :)

PS: I had skimmed through the FM reviews and gather that it's a great buy for that price.

well let me tell you that it might be hard to impress you since your favorite lenses are the 24 and 35 1.4L's...but i'll give my take anyway.

Look: looks great with hood, you can tell it has a good share of glass on it.

feel: weight is great, balances on a 20d/30d/5d w/grip very well. focusing ring is quite smooth, but not quite like an L. same as the overall build...good, but if you're used to lenses like the 35 1.4, you'll be able to tell a difference.

Autofocus: the focus is lightning fast and quite accurate on my copy. in low low light it might search a little bit but i've used a few L's that did the same thing. the AF is practicaly silent.

Sharpness: very good. at f/1.8-f/2 it's easily 'sharp enough', from f/2.2 - f/2.8 it's very sharp, and from f/4 on it's as sharp as a tack. it's probably safer to say that from f/2.2 up it's very very sharp, but there's something about f2.8-f4 that sings on the 85. I would consider that the sweet spot. the only reason i hesitate to use it at lower than f/2.2 is the ultra-shallow DoF (bad for moving subjects).

Color: great, processes well too.

CA: great. there is a tiny bit of reddish CA at apertures smaller than f2.8, but i rarely run into that and it's never a problem.

vignetting: not a big deal anyway since i know you like to vignette your pictures :) (it's fine in this lens btw)

distortion: none really.

bokeh: gorgeous, but not quite as smooth as the 85L or 135L.
that's about as much info as i can give without overdoing it...it's a terrific little lens, surpisingly good for the price. here are some sample photos from it (i'm sure you've seen some of these before):

bluesguyscloseup-sm.jpg

macropuffs-sm.jpg

jonathonrest-forwebnoborder.jpg

D-twirl2-bw-sm.jpg

bballkid-sm.jpg

aaron1-sm.jpg

hope that helps!

Thank you usayit and thanks Daniel for the detailed response. You should be working for DPreview. :D

50/1.4 and 24/1.4 is what I actually have and the built of this lens looks similar to the 50, which I am very pleased with.

Thanks again. :thumbup:

danalec99 said:
Thank you usayit and thanks Daniel for the detailed response. You should be working for DPreview. :D

50/1.4 and 24/1.4 is what I actually have and the built of this lens looks similar to the 50, which I am very pleased with.

Thanks again. :thumbup:

oh yes that's right, the 50. i've used the 50 1.4 a few times and i must say that the build on the 85 and feel of the focus ring and such is actually better. so i'm sure you'd like that :)

glad to help!

danalec99 said:

ooo... you are following my prime set...

24 f1.4L, 50 f1.4, 85 f1.8, 135 f2L

I've had nothing but joy with those set of lenses and never really "needed" anything else. yes... been tempted by the recent 85mmL and 50mmL but cost to benefit has never been on the favorable side.

I have always hear that is good length for portrait close-ups, lets you get in tight without violating your subject’s comfort zone

Thanks guys for the input!

I haven't used a lot of lenses, but the 85/1.8 is easily my favorite out of the ones I have. The motor in the 85mm is a true ring USM, while the 50mm has a clutched version of the cheaper USM. If you like the 50/1.4, I think you'll probably like the 85/1.8 even more.

darin3200 said:
I love the 85mm f/1.8. It's one of my favorite, most-used wedding lenses. During the receptions and such it's so nice to have a fast lens that is 136mm on the 20d.

so what do you do if you see someone across the room and the 85mm will not come close to getting the shot. do you have a 2nd cam slung around your shoulder, and if so, what lens does that one have? that is the reason i love zoom lenses and use my 85-200mm, for that reason. so what do you guys do with the prime lenses.

Walk.

I know having a zoom is handy, and can save a shot that's only there for a moment, but I prefer to choose a focal length based on the look it gives. While using a lens, I know what the scene will look like when looking through the viewfinder, so I can position myself in places that will lead to "happy accidents". It follows Louis Pasteur's idea that “Where observation is concerned, chance favours only the prepared mind.”

When I have the 50mm on, I look for scenes that work with the 50mm. When the 85mm is on, I look for scenes that work with it. If I come across one that works better with the other and have time, I swap.

thanks for the reply. that makes sense. but what about those shots that you can't get close enough to. like when you are limited to only half-way up the side isle in a church due to the priest's request or church rules? then you're stuck with the bride and groom being 1/10 the size in the photo. you can't be right up on every shot so what do you do then? or if you are in the loft of the upper level of the church with the organ for example? you have a great shot of the speaker at the podiums or anything from above. a 50mm won't cut that. for that i have a cheap 70-300mm that i keep on a tripod...not the best results but half turn out good.

thanks,
steve

guitarkid said:
thanks for the reply. that makes sense. but what about those shots that you can't get close enough to. like when you are limited to only half-way up the side isle in a church due to the priest's request or church rules? then you're stuck with the bride and groom being 1/10 the size in the photo. you can't be right up on every shot so what do you do then? or if you are in the loft of the upper level of the church with the organ for example? you have a great shot of the speaker at the podiums or anything from above. a 50mm won't cut that. for that i have a cheap 70-300mm that i keep on a tripod...not the best results but half turn out good.

thanks,
steve

Rent a 70-200 2.8.

Most reactions

Back