Canon 85/1.8

These situations are why you go to the rehearsal, or scout a location beforehand, to find out what lenses you'll use in what situations.

Matt, i don't go to rehearsals since most brides i deal with only pay for 4-5 hours coverage...don't want to pay extra. anyway, whether i go to the rehearsal or not, there are still the occasional rules of YOU CANNOT GO PAST THIS MARK IN THE CHURCH (halfway up.) so the question again is, what do you use for that? an 85mm won't cut that. i was wondering what you guys use in those situations.

guitarkid said:
Matt, i don't go to rehearsals since most brides i deal with only pay for 4-5 hours coverage...don't want to pay extra. anyway, whether i go to the rehearsal or not, there are still the occasional rules of YOU CANNOT GO PAST THIS MARK IN THE CHURCH (halfway up.) so the question again is, what do you use for that? an 85mm won't cut that. i was wondering what you guys use in those situations.

depends on the church. i've been to a church where an 85 was almost too long from near the back. some users will use primes in almost all situations because of the superior sharpness and bokeh...like they'll use an 85 1.8, 135 f2, and 200 2.8. You can get all three of those primes for the same price as a 70-200L IS. I use the zoom though, just because I still only shoot one body and it's easier.

there are times where a fast prime will save you though.

Nobody is suggesting that you carry one lens to a wedding :p Obvioulsy you are going to have a few different lenses with you, for different situations. You should have multiple cameras too, I would think. I know I would.

guitarkid said:

Indoor church (assuming dim lighting), no flash and no closer to altar than halfway up with an 85mm focal length just not enough to get the closeups you want... Sounds really tough event to shoot. At that point, I'd seriously consider steadying with a tripod... perhaps a tripod with wheels to roll it around quickly.. bump up the ISO a bit or experiment with faster film. I'd go early to the church and setup 2-3 tripods in various locations that you like. Keeps people from taking those spots when they start to arrive.

Just some things that come to mind although I've not had the pleasure of shooting in those conditions. Either way, every stop is going to count.. IMO, primes are the way to go... perhaps renting is now something to consider.

thanks matt, thanks guys, just trying to get a feel for what you guys do in those situations. seems like half the churches i get to have the rules. here is what i'm shooting with now;

30D as main, 20D as 2nd that is on tripod somewhere, usually in balcony if there is one. OR, it's on me with the 50mm 1.8 prime. the 30D has a 70mm-200mm sigma lens and i think the lowest Fstop is 3.5. i LOVE that 70-200 lens.

i think the first next lens i will get is a 35mm for a little more width, either that or a 24. maybe try a prime telephoto as well.

Btw, you don't need to go to the rehearsal because you are paid to be there. You go to improve your chances of doing a good job. It's your own investment of time, to insure you are prepared. Even if you are only there to scope out the location, and find out where you can and can't go. It could be 10 minutes.

guitarkid said:
thanks matt, thanks guys, just trying to get a feel for what you guys do in those situations. seems like half the churches i get to have the rules. here is what i'm shooting with now;

30D as main, 20D as 2nd that is on tripod somewhere, usually in balcony if there is one. OR, it's on me with the 50mm 1.8 prime. the 30D has a 70mm-200mm sigma lens and i think the lowest Fstop is 3.5. i LOVE that 70-200 lens.

i think the first next lens i will get is a 35mm for a little more width, either that or a 24. maybe try a prime telephoto as well.

If you like the Sigma 70-200, you really need to try the Canon 70-200 2.8L. You'll be blown away.

matt, i agree with that but with as little as i charge, it's not something i offer. i just bring my 2 cams and all lenses and get there early. with my day job being downtown in the loop, i can't really get home before 7pm on weekdays. i just get there early the day of the wedding. doesn't take more than 5 min's for me to know where i'm setting up and what the plan is going to be. photography is much easier than video, which i also do. with video you have to be concerned with tripods and running lines for audio along with wireless audio and remote audio DAT units. also, when shooting in clubs, most "sound guys" don't really know sound so i wind up setting up their house board for them, which is a pain, and something i'm not paid to do but the audio has to be the best. that is why i love photo gigs more at times. much less setup.

Robert, that is one lens i was looking at. i was looking at an IS lens. would you recommend that one over 3 prime lenses? i like the idea of that 70-200 more than 3 prime lenses and changing them out all the time between cams. BUT do you think the prime lenses will look nicer? sharper? thanks for your advice. i guess i should sell my sigma 70-200 then, and i just got it a few months ago.

The 70-200 F2.8 L IS ...is 'da bomb' for weddings. From all accounts...it's razor sharp, even wide open...and F2.8 is fantastic to have...and with IS, sharp shots are much easier..

If you combine that with a nice fast prime or a good quality wide zoom...that should be a great wedding kit. The EF 24-70 F2.8 L is the work horse for many, many pros. A new lens that I'm hearing a lot about, it the EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS...it's wide, it's fast and it has IS. Supposedly it's nearly as sharp as the L lenses as well.

mike, great info to have, thanks! i think i will get rid of my 300D, original rebel body, and its 18-55 lens, taking a hit of course, to look at that 70-200L. i will then have my 30D and 20D.

i have the cheap 70-300 Canon lens now that i use for telephoto but not that fast at all.

if i get the canon 70-200L, i can have that and my sigma 10-24mm which i love and use a couple times during a wedding. then i have my 50mm prime. i may keep my sigma 70-200 just to have; it's a great lens.

Not that this helps, but I've only done a few weddings and haven't had any issues during them. I made sure that they were well aware of my style and what it required. My photos look the way they do because of the way I shoot, and I'd assume that they would be hiring me for that. That's more difficult when you go for the budget market. Mine were whole-day events.

Thanks markc, Digital Matt for your input.
I got the lens the other day. it's a fantastic tool for that price. :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back