canon A2E and infrared?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Jestpg, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Jestpg

Jestpg TPF Noob!

i just recently bought a canon A2E camera and i love it but it said due to the "emission of infrared light by the film perforation detector" it cannot use infrared film. does anyone know if theres any way to get around this and use the film?

2. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    If the camera can be used without batteries, you're home free. Just remove the battery(s) and any IR emitter will not work. Then go manual.

If, on the other hand, the camera just becomes an expensive paper weight when you pop the battery, you can buy a decent older 35mm rig on ebay for not very many bucks. Choose one that uses a battery only to run a match-needle exposure indicator or similar function.

3. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    The camera uses an IR diode to track exposures instead of a sprocket wheel, so you can't just remove the battery. From what I've seen, it will only blur along the bottom 3-4mm of the neg, so if you frame accordingly, you might be able to work around it.

If you try it and there's still too much fogging, another choice would be to get an EOS-10 or 600 series to use for IR and as a backup to the A2e, or like Torus said, get a cheap, fully manual camera like a Mamiya M42 mount (500TL, etc.) or similar.