Canon advice

genevivo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello
I have a Canon 450d which I use with either the 50mm1.8, or my 10-22mm wide angle lense.
I'm planning on purchasing the 17-55mm 2.8 Canon lense as a replacement for my kit lense (which I find I no longer use, despite the fact that I like the focal lenth).
I shoot plenty of lanscapes and rockclimbing photos with my wide angle, and for this I love it. I keep finding its limitations however, when I try to use it to shoot indoors or in low light. The aperture simply isn't wide enough.
I want to ask for advice as to whether the 17-55 should be ok indoors, or in low light conditions. I did for a while consider the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 but I've hear that it has trouble with autofocus.
My 450d only goes up to ISO1600 of course, and although it's quite clear to me that higher ISO will mean more noise, would it be worth upgrading (keeping in mind I need to keep the camera light and small)? I even considered the crazy option of a 100d.
Thanks for your advice in advance....

welcome to the site.

The 17-55 f/2.8 is fast glass at constant aperture of 2.8. That will help with indoor shooting.

The 450D is an older body and even the entry level camera's have improved the low light capabilities over this one.

I personally would try to upgrade both the body and the lens. JMHO.

welcome to the site.

The 17-55 f/2.8 is fast glass at constant aperture of 2.8. That will help with indoor shooting.

The 450D is an older body and even the entry level camera's have improved the low light capabilities over this one.

I personally would try to upgrade both the body and the lens. JMHO.

Thanks. Do you have any advice about a body upgrade?

Depends on the price point and features that you want/need.

A replacement for the 450D would be something like the EOS Rebel's (T5i, T6i, T6s) or the EOS 70D (replaced the 60D)

Depends on the price point and features that you want/need.

A replacement for the 450D would be something like the EOS Rebel's (T5i, T6i, T6s) or the EOS 70D (replaced the 60D)
As an owner of the 450D/XSi, I'd recommend skipping the Rebel line. When/if I am able to upgrade (i.e., have the money, haha), I will absolutely be going the 7D/6D/5D route. (That is, if I don't switch to Nikon or mirrorless. :wink:)

I'd say:

1) F2.8 makes a big difference indoors and is pretty much the best you'll get in a zoom lens of suitable focal length - the only way to get wider is with prime lenses.

2) You might want to consider a lens and flash instead of lens and body. A speedlites flash like the 430 series or 580 or even 600 series would be an ideal addition and let you increase the light levels. You cna learn about light bouncing and diffusion to soften the light indoors. A flash is also of good general use in any field of photography.
The 580EX2 is discontinued and only sold second hand but is a very good flash; the 430EX2 is a very good option still sold new and the 600series are the newest - most expensive but they come with built-in radio control systems. That means you can use two or three and have one on camera trigger the others via radio - a consideration for the future if you want to go into multiple flash setups.

3) The 450D is older, but still very capable. A body upgrade would be good - you can consider the 40D, 50D, 60D - or the 7D and 7DMII in crop sensor - or you could consider hte 5D, 5DMII, 5DMIII in the fullframe (note that means a sensor change which means some lenses won't work - ergo the zoom you are already looking at won't. EFS won't work on fullframe bodies).

All of the Rebels Canon sells now, as well as the 60D, 70D, 7D are about two stops better with regard to noise, which I found to be a significant benefit, as I shoot in low-light conditions hand-held quite a bit. I currently use a T2i (550D) and I am quite happy with it. The only upgrade I would bother to make would be to full-frame. Of course, everyone's needs are different, so read up as much as you can about the different models.

Having had a few Canon models I did find the 18mp versions were better at higher iso than the previous models. If you are happy with the 450d except with the hi iso then any if the 18mp models such as 550d/600d 60d etc. Obviously then you will find more specced models are more expensive.

As for your lens, sigma and tamron do a 17-50mm f2.8, the sigma with os and the tamron (without vc supposed to be better). Both (I had tamron) fare well against the Canon picture quality wise. The Canon does have better build and probably faster focus.

If you go third party lenses you could probably upgrade camera and lens for similar money to Canons own brand offering

I'm actually more concerned about the weight and size of an upgrade than the price. I find that I leave my camera behind on occasion because of its weight (when I'm doing a tough climb or a long hike) even with the 450d. That is the only reason not to upgrade to a 7d or 70d. So I'd prefer to keep the weight down. I've been looking at the 100d( I think its the SL1 outside of europe?), as a realistic option. I know it's an entrance level camera, but I can imagine with some good lenses, it could be not a bad option. Any thoughts?

I'm actually more concerned about the weight and size of an upgrade than the price. I find that I leave my camera behind on occasion because of its weight (when I'm doing a tough climb or a long hike) even with the 450d. That is the only reason not to upgrade to a 7d or 70d. So I'd prefer to keep the weight down. I've been looking at the 100d( I think its the SL1 outside of europe?), as a realistic option. I know it's an entrance level camera, but I can imagine with some good lenses, it could be not a bad option. Any thoughts?
If you're worried about weight and size, have you thought about going mirrorless?

The canon SL1 or 100d has similar image quality as the rest of canons 18mp line up. Yes it is a viable light weight option

In my opinion, u should upgrade both the camera and lens, the 450D is out of date, u‘d better get 5D II or higher class, and the lens should get a 70-200mm/f4, besides the acompanying lens.

Canon developed a new sensor for the 7D and used it on the T2i... followed by the T3i, T4i, and T5i. They also used that same sensor on the 60D. A lot of cameras have that same sensor and that sensor is noticeably improved over the one you have in your current camera.

However, Canon's latest new cameras all have new sensors... the 70D, 7D II, and T6i & T6s all have newer sensors (and all different.) As far as the Rebel line goes, the T6s is the top of the line and actually does have a newer sensor with better ISO (and lower noise at equivalent ISOs) than the previous Rebels. The T6i & T6s have the same sensor and the difference is some body features. The T6s starts to introduce some features normally only found in mid-range cameras (like a top LCD and a second control dial on the back of the camera.) It's not quite as nice as a mid-range camera, but close.

Full frame sensors are generally known for their ISO performance. The bodies will be physically larger and you cannot use EF-S lenses with full-frame cameras. The 6D is the least expensive of Canon's full-frame line (it's considered the "entry level" full frame body -- although "entry" for full-frame is quite good.) The camera will weigh more than a Rebel body and so will it's lenses (EF-S lenses are noticeably lighter than their EF counterparts.)

A 7D or the newer 7D II both have very rugged build quality and can take a bit of a beating. They have magnesium alloy bodies (instead of polycarbonate (plastic)). These cameras still have APS-C sensors (they're basically the top-end APS-C bodies) and have features that optimize them for action photography (better focusing systems and very fast continuous shooting speeds -- especially on the newer 7D II). But as these are APS-C bodies, they can still use the EF -S lenses... like your 10-22mm ultra-wide zoom.

"Canon advice"
FWIW - TPF has a forum dedicated to
Canon Cameras
and for

Canon Lenses
Canon Accessories
Canon developed a new sensor for the 7D and used it on the T2i... followed by the T3i, T4i, and T5i. They also used that same sensor on the 60D. A lot of cameras have that same sensor and that sensor is noticeably improved over the one you have in your current camera.

However, Canon's latest new cameras all have new sensors... the 70D, 7D II, and T6i & T6s all have newer sensors (and all different.) As far as the Rebel line goes, the T6s is the top of the line and actually does have a newer sensor with better ISO (and lower noise at equivalent ISOs) than the previous Rebels. The T6i & T6s have the same sensor and the difference is some body features. The T6s starts to introduce some features normally only found in mid-range cameras (like a top LCD and a second control dial on the back of the camera.) It's not quite as nice as a mid-range camera, but close.

Full frame sensors are generally known for their ISO performance. The bodies will be physically larger and you cannot use EF-S lenses with full-frame cameras. The 6D is the least expensive of Canon's full-frame line (it's considered the "entry level" full frame body -- although "entry" for full-frame is quite good.) The camera will weigh more than a Rebel body and so will it's lenses (EF-S lenses are noticeably lighter than their EF counterparts.)

A 7D or the newer 7D II both have very rugged build quality and can take a bit of a beating. They have magnesium alloy bodies (instead of polycarbonate (plastic)). These cameras still have APS-C sensors (they're basically the top-end APS-C bodies) and have features that optimize them for action photography (better focusing systems and very fast continuous shooting speeds -- especially on the newer 7D II). But as these are APS-C bodies, they can still use the EF -S lenses... like your 10-22mm ultra-wide zoom.

a refurbished 6D ($1,200) may be the best value - excluding the lens

Most reactions

New Topics

Back