canon AE-1 ??

mkedre

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Are there 2 different Canon AE-1 models? Canon AE-1 and Canon AE-1 Program. What is the difference between the 2?

The AE-1 has manual exposure and shutter priority exposure, meaning you can set the shutter speed and the camera will pick the aperture.

The AE-1 Program has manual exposure, shutter priority, aperture priority (you pick the aperture and let the camera pick the shutter speed), and program exposure (camera picks both shutter and aperture).

ksmattfish said:
The AE-1 Program has manual exposure, shutter priority, aperture priority (you pick the aperture and let the camera pick the shutter speed), and program exposure (camera picks both shutter and aperture).

Actually, that's the A-1. The AE-1 Program doesn't have aperture priority autoexposure.

The AE-1 Program doesn't have aperture priority autoexposure.

Are you sure??? Although I'm still not really good with the terminologies and all that, I have a Canon AE-1 Program camera, and I'm almost positive it will let me set it so I pick the aperature and the camera sets the shutter speed...I know for fact that it has a setting where it picks the aperature and I pick the shutter, cuz that's what I keep it on most of the time. I wish I had it here in front of me....

Anyway...It's a great camera for a first timer! And you can get them, and the accessories at a pretty good price on Ebay! I got mine, with a 50mm lens at the INCREDIBLE price of $60.00!!!!! Even the friend who told me I should get it (he's been a photographer for a long time, and it's what he started out with), said it was an AWESOME deal!
Ok, well, enough about that. Good luck!

The AE1 was the early 80's canon (my daughter was born in 1981 and I got one long before she was born). I loved it! It did gave you a choice of aperture or shutter priority for autoexposure but you had to use the canon lenses designed for the camera.

I just got a free AE-1 from my uncle the other day with a 28mm fixed, a 50mm fixed, and a 2x converter. He also included a winder, flash, and tons of filters. One thing that he didn't have is the manual.

This may be a stupid question, but which shooting modes does the regular AE-1 have? I'm thinking that there's a shutter priority mode only.

Also, the foam on the top of the inside of the camera (where the mirror retracts to) is deteriorating. It's leaving an oily residue on the mirror. Is this a problem?

That can be a problem. The best thing to do is take it in for a cleaning and have that foam replaced. It can damage the mirror which will make it increasingly difficult to see what you're shooting.

The AE-1 is a fine camera. It's the first SLR camera I owned. I bought it from my sister in the very early '80's and still use it for some things. Especially long night exposures like star shots.

Most reactions

Back