Canon and Nikon Quality and Quality Control

Not data. Just heard more complaints that of people getting genuine lemons from Sigma. As for every brand...eh...when it comes to lenses, when you think it's soft, it's likely operator error. It's rarely actually problems with the lens. :lmao:

Not data.
Oh. So, it's purely anecdotal. Hmmm... Not terribly convincing, I'm afraid, especially since I've heard lots of good things about them; enough to convince me to shell out several hundred dollars for mine - and lo and behold, I'm really glad I did.

Just heard more complaints that of people getting genuine lemons from Sigma.
Well since you don't have actual data, perhaps you could tell us about how many complaints would you say you've heard, listed by manufacturer, so that we can compare the numbers that show Sigma to be way out front as the lemon leader.

Hi everyone. Thankyou for your responses so far. This is becoming very productive.

Just a few words that I'd like to add to keep this on track. Firstly, please fully read the original post at the top so that we can get the most out of this thread.

Secondly, for future reference, please refrain from confronting another's opinion. If someone's had personal experience with a product then their views and reasoning are definately valid and welcomed - so please state that it is from personal experience.

Thanks. I look forward to hearing more.

Last edited:
May I just add; if you have information that isn't first hand then please reference and link to your source. Thanks again.

Just curious... Playdo..

Are you getting any data from the professional market directly? In particular the photojournalists/journalists? versus studio photographers?

In my observation (mostly from retail), the opinion and experiences between that professional market versus the consumer market is fairly different. Repair experiences for example; Canon photogs employed many major media companies can pretty much walk into any Canon dealer in the world and walk out with a replacement within minutes. I am sure Nikon has similar agreements... Not exactly the same experience or treatment I could demand from my local channels.

To be honest, the TPF isn't a good way to pull data... and without a standardized questionnaire.. I don't see much usefulness.

Canon Shooter here. Canon Elan IIe, Canon 1V, Canon 10d, Canon 20d, Canon 1dMII with at one point 12-15 or so different lenses at my disposal. The 1d is flawless in operation and it came fairly used/abused from a journalist/war photographer. The Canon 1V has a similar history. The Elan went in once for repair. None of the lenses have failed. I had my 24mm f/1.4L sent in for a CLA ($200) as there was a fair amount of dirt build up inside. I also had a cheap kit lens at one time that had a progressively failing macro motor.

Canon's major-major problem to me has been the unexpected,random failure of its bodies with the Err 99 code....it has cost me shots and shut down shoots for me numerous times with the 20D and 5D....I have never had a Nikon body Err out on me for no apparent reason. Ever.

Well aren't you one of the lucky ones?

I find most Nikon products tend to crumble apart in people's hands. Well, at least those that are pure of heart and not completely devoid of any moral values.

Regarding Nikon errors vs. Canon errors... A quick Google search of "nikon f error" reveals a quarter of a million hits.

LINK

I've had a Canon 40D, 50D, 5D2 and 1D3. I've never had an Error 99 or any other error. This doesn't negate the fact others have had the infamous Error 99 with their Canon's.

It happens to both brands. Neither is immune to technical difficulties.

Perhaps you have some actual data to back up your claims that Sigma is more prone to ship lemons than anyone else though? Love to see it.

I have Sigma 100-300mm f/4, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 as well as the Sigma 1.4X and 2X TC's ... they have all worked great. These are all Sigma's "EX" glass, so I can't speak for the lower priced consumer-grade lenses.

I think it's an interesting topic...but you would have to get the information right from the companies themselves, for it to really be worth anything. Also, I'm sure that their QC is at least slightly different from factory to factory. The top end lenses being made in Japan probably have different QC standards than the cheap kit lenses being made in China, Korea or Thailand (or wherever).

I've been wondering about the quality control standards ever since JCII lost its teeth and transformed into a museum. Of course, asking the manufacturers is a joke. Yeah, I can see it now: "Our QC standards suck."

Most reactions

Back