Canon and Nikon

danalec99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
1. Is it like comparing between a Mercedes S Class and a BMW 7 series?
(both are top-of-the-line automobiles in the same genre. Its the personal preferences that distinguishes them)

2. Whenever I randomly flip thru a photography mag, its mostly dominated by Nikon. Is it just a preset tag?

I understand it is the person/eye/exposure behind the equipment that matters, but the above query is to clarify if there is some mettle in the so-called 'elitist Nikon' attitude!! :)

PS: I'm looking for an unbiased response!

canon users can go choke....

seriously, there neck and neck the whole way...id take a g5 over a coolpix...but id take an D70 over a 10d

md

Patrick said:
MDowdey said:
canon users can go choke....

seriously, there kneck and kneck the whole way...id take a g5 over a coolpix...but id take an n70 over a 10d

md

DITTO 8)

Wait till the Canon desciples see this :lol:

You can't go wrong with either as a brand in general. I agree that it will depend upon what you are personally looking for more than anything else, as they are both top-notch quality.

I've heard it said, and I quote:

"Minolta makes the best bodies, Nikon makes the best lenses, and Canon makes the best compromise between the two."

That may have changed a bit with the new Canon IS lenses, tho, ifyou need them. Nikon doesn't have anything to match them, as far as I know.

I think it depends a lot on what models and when in the companies' histories you are talking about. There is no doubt that Nikon gear from the 70's is some of the best ever made. And the Canon AE cameras of the 80's are sometimes refered to as the most popular 35mm SLRs of all time. Personally I feel that both companies led the pack in quality decline in the 90's. All my buddies who have gone digital like the Canon stuff better, so that's all I've really had a chance to see of the latest gear.

If I could have any camera from either company it would be:

Nikon: F3 HP Titanium body 35mm SLR with the standard 50mm Nikkor that came with it.

Canon: I can't remember the model, but it's a 35mm rangefinder with interchangable lenses including a 50mm f/.9 (that's right f/nine tenths).

ksmattfish said:
Canon: I can't remember the model, but it's a 35mm rangefinder with interchangable lenses including a 50mm f/.9 (that's right f/nine tenths).

I don’t thing Canon has made a rangefinder with interchangeable lenses since the late 60’s or early 70’s

Jeesh! Would you look at that lens?

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/1955-1969/data/1965_7s.html
1965_7s.jpg

I think a lot of people are loyal to whatever camera they had first. That being said, Canon IS the best! :lol:

I'd pick the nikon simply because all nikon lenses fit all nikon camera, if I wanted to upgrade to a digital camera then it wouldnt be a big deal, I'd just buy a nikon body and I'd be set with the lenses I already have.

danalec99 said:
I understand it is the person/eye/exposure behind the equipment that matters, but the above query is to clarify if there is some mettle in the so-called 'elitist Nikon' attitude!! :)
I've seen quite a bit of Canon elitist attitude across the internet too so it's not just one camera in particular. There was this great article(wish I saved the link) I read awhile back written by a guy who has tested quite a lot of cameras in his time. In his article he stated that the newer generations of digital SLR cameras are so closely matched now a days in quality that only really picky people would notice the difference. You know, those people who like to start Canon vs Nikon flame wars by zooming in 300% and pointing out how some pixel isn't good enough. :wink:

The article goes on to state that because quality has pretty much equaled out we can go back to what really matters. He states the things that really matter are useful features, ergonomics, and other things that help a photographer take pictures. Things like having controls laid out properly so that you don't have hunt for them or take your eyes out of the viewfinder in order to change. I've lost a few shots myself on other cameras where it took to long going through several menu options in order to get the feature I needed. Some cameras are also not balanced as well as others and can feel akward or becomes uncomfortable when doing long photo sessions.

Although the best way to see this debate in action is to go to some photo galleries that let you sort by camera used. You'll see that there are a lot good photographers and a lot bad ones using the exact same camera. From the good photographers it's hard for me to tell the difference in quality from one camera to the next.

Jeff Canes said:
ksmattfish said:

I don’t thing Canon has made a rangefinder with interchangeable lenses since the late 60’s or early 70’s

That's the one. It's not the camera I'm after, it's that amazing f/.9 lens!

Most reactions

Back