Canon APS-C Portrait lens and Bokeh ?

I've been shooting a 5Dmk3 for over a year now. And while I love the body it isn't well suited as a sports and wildlife camera.
What the ... ??? The 5D3 is optimal for sports, given the right lenses. Second best AF system of any camera, only the 1D line is even superior. At least thats what people claim.

The only reason why APS-C is prefered by wildlife shooters is because they need so insane reach, APS-C just saves them a buttload of money, if not makes effective focal lengths possible that are simply not available for fullframe DSLRs.

he said effective.

youre really bad at arguing semantics.

a crop sensor WILL increase your effective focal length all things being equal.

depth-of-field perspective

From final summary on webpage "So, yes, a 50mm does (kinda) act like a 75mm / 80mm when used on a crop-sensor camera. The focal length is effectively increased on a crop-sensor camera. But at the loss of the shallow DoF that a larger sensor gives you."

Effective and (kinda) act like......

"Don't stop believin'
Hold on to that feelin'
Streetlight people
Don't stop believin'
Hold on"

to be fair: that is actually technically unfactual--I was mistaking effective with equivalent focal length. (i believe solarflare did as well). EFL is actually a thing.

again, I, nor no one else here is suggesting that a 300mm lens on a crop sensor is now a different focal length. And we all agree that the FOV is narrower on a crop body all things being equal.

we started arguing "reach", something currently undefined, but apparently not used to your satifaction.

If stood Kobe Byrant and Micheal Jordan next to each other, both standing at 6' 6", and asked them both to jump. And Micahel Jordan had a vertical leap longer than Kobe and therefore I suggested Jordan had more height than Byrant, would you not accept that since they are both the same measured height?

I've been shooting a 5Dmk3 for over a year now. And while I love the body it isn't well suited as a sports and wildlife camera.
What the ... ??? The 5D3 is optimal for sports, given the right lenses. Second best AF system of any camera, only the 1D line is even superior. At least thats what people claim.

The only reason why APS-C is prefered by wildlife shooters is because they need so insane reach, APS-C just saves them a buttload of money, if not makes effective focal lengths possible that are simply not available for fullframe DSLRs.

Need the behavior of extra reach, can't afford FF, can't afford the f2.8 lenses required to take full advantage of what FF offers, can't afford super telephoto lenses, CAN accept differences in depth of field and bokeh quality.

Canon EOS 7D Mark II AF System Compared to the 1D X and 5D III

"Don't stop believin'
Hold on to that feelin'
Streetlight people
Don't stop believin'
Hold on"

to be fair: that is actually technically unfactual--I was mistaking effective with equivalent focal length. (i believe solarflare did as well). EFL is actually a thing.

again, I, nor no one else here is suggesting that a 300mm lens on a crop sensor is now a different focal length. And we all agree that the FOV is narrower on a crop body all things being equal.

we started arguing "reach", something currently undefined, but apparently not used to your satifaction.

If stood Kobe Byrant and Micheal Jordan next to each other, both standing at 6' 6", and asked them both to jump. And Micahel Jordan had a vertical leap longer than Kobe and therefore I suggested Jordan had more height than Byrant, would you not accept that since they are both the same measured height?
ef·fec·tive
əˈfektiv/
adjective
  1. 1.
    successful in producing a desired or intended result.
Works for me.

Well the op asked about Bokeh.

Reach- should it not be a combination of sensor size and lens? The 35mm format is used as the ruler stick, but I mean if one has a m4/3 or aps-c with a 50mm lens, does it matter that someone with a ff gets a different fov, I mean you use different lenses to get different framing on different formats

no, reach should be undefined, and when anyone mentions it, call them ridiculous.

Well starting this thread was a huge waste of time. I asked about Bokeh and got an argument about "reach" last time I ask a question of this group.

kc4sox said:
Well starting this thread was a huge waste of time. I asked about Bokeh and got an argument about "reach" last time I ask a question of this group.

Congratulations! You've been treated to an Official TPF Thread Derailment and Ensuing Trainwreck! You are now hereby a regular poster in good standing. You will no longer be treated to the Guest Bathroom, nor The Good Towels, nor The Fancy Soaps. You are now just "one of us".

to be fair I answered your question in 16mins...

you had 10 days to read the rest.

Not to worry, it's one of those things that always seems to start a silly kerfluffle for whatever reason. The crop factor thing really isn't a big deal but for whatever reason it seems to spark these hypertechnical merry go rounds that always seem to dissolve into people arguing over the correct terms to describe it.

It's sort of the third rail of TPF posting. Another one you'll probably want to avoid is a discussion of grey market equipment. But on the upside there are a lot of great folks with a lot of knowledge, just have to sift through and find the stuff that is of use to you.

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back