Canon AT-1

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by aghastpumpkin, Aug 18, 2004.

1. aghastpumpkin

aghastpumpkin TPF Noob!

OK i posted about this in my intro, but here seems a better place!!!
    I have recently inherited a Canon AT-1 SLR, with a 28, 50 and 120mm lenses, the formers being Canon the latter a Sirius.
    It also has a large flash attachment.
    This camera has a purchase date of 1980, so it's quite old, but I have been informed by people in the know that slrs have not changed much in the last twenty or so years, as the basic concept of what-you-see-is-what-you-get is unchanged.
    I just wodnered, is this camera any good?
    Will it be suitable for my forthcoming sicth form photography course of duration 2 years?

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
  3. Walt

Walt TPF Noob!

I had an AT1 for a number of years. They are a good basic camera. I'm sorry I parted with mine.

4. Varthlokkur

Varthlokkur TPF Noob!

As long as you can controll the shutter and aperature its good for any photo school. It looks like the AE-1 which millions were made so it shoudl suit you just fine.

5. Walt

Walt TPF Noob!

The AT1 is totaly manual. No shutter priority auto like the AE1.

6. probe1957

probe1957 TPF Noob!

I have had one for 25 years and it has served me well. I am sure it will do the same for you.

An excellent camera to learn with as it is all manual. Might want to take it to a repair shop to be checked out though. If it hasn't been serviced recently it will no doubt need a CLA and light seals. Shouldn't cost too much.

7. aghastpumpkin

aghastpumpkin TPF Noob!

Well, it's broken on me a week before my photography practical mock exam.
    Everytime you click the shutter, the timer lamp flashes, even though you are not trying to take a picture with the timer. It then flashes non-stop. It also does not wind on.
    I have no idea why, or how to fix it, help would ne gratefully received, however, I think it appears to be broken. It does have some serious rleiability issues.
    I will probably take it to Jessops to see what they think, and to service it, if that can be done. Oh well, looks like a Centon K400 is going to have to be!