Canon bokeh vs. Zeiss bokeh

Wow, what a difference! Thanks for the post.
I know that this is not the topic but the zeiss lens seems to capture better contrast which I think also lends to a more interesting look in the bokeh.

I know that this is not the topic but the zeiss lens seems to capture better contrast which I think also lends to a more interesting look in the bokeh.

Read the full thread. Lens properties are not manufacturer-specific, they are lens-specific.

Read the full thread. Lens properties are not manufacturer-specific, they are lens-specific.

Do you mean to say that if I bought the same Zeiss lens that the bokeh would not have the same amount of contrast? (that's all I meant).

I think the both of you have a miscommunication going on.... It sounds like musicaleCA thought that you said "Zeiss lenses are generally more contrasty" as in the manufacturer Zeiss rather than the lens in the OP in particular.

I kinda mis-read, but hey, I'm sick and my right ear feels like it might explode and take half my head with it (too bad the right hemisphere is the abstract, creative side...).

If you bought the same model of Zeiss lens, yes, it would have similar properties. I was saying that between different lenses in the Zeiss line-up, let alone other manufacturers', not all lenses are equal...or something like that...*pops more Advil*

I would be interested in seeing this comparison with both lenses shot at the same aperture. And I don't mean f-number, I really mean aperture. Since background blur is mostly a function of aperture, this would be an interesting test.

To accomplish this, shoot the 50mm at f/1.4 (50/1.4=35.7mm aperture)
Shoot the 85mm at f/2.4 or as close as you can get to that (85/2.4=35.4mm aperture)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back