Canon camera and camera manual - good or not so good?

PJcam

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I purchased my new, entry level, Canon camera a few days ago. (See signature below)

Am I please with the camera? The reply has to be YES.

But what about the manual...

Do I find the manual detailed - yes

Do I find the manual helpful - yes and no

Do I find the manual frustrating - yes as a newby to the hobby I have to say I do

After all these years Canon has been making 'good' cameras, they don't supply a PDF manual with a search facility. I want to learn about my camera, I want to take pictures with it, but I am slowed down because I come across terms I am unaware of and struggle and waste time trying to find the answers. In this advanced technological age, we 'search' for answers, we find them fast. But not with the Canon camera guide, the PDF does not allow me to search the manual.

I feel the manual is designed by people who deal with cameras, know all about the cameras and the various terms but, as a newby to the hobby, I come across something maybe from my camera menu and want to look up what it means in the manual, because I cannot search for the word I am unsure of, I have to glance over the menu, scroll through pages to find what it means. As a beginner to the hobby I do not know all the terms related to my new camera, there are many examples I could give, here is a very simple one, my camera gave 3 options in the menu, One Shot, AI Focus and AI Servo. It took me 20 minutes to find the data explaining what they are do, with search in the PDF manual file I would have found what all three meant in 20 seconds.

With any new hobby, there will always be things we don't know, I have to wonder why, in this day and age, Canon cameras do not have a manual with a search facility?

I am sure Canon would reply to my comments, read the full manual first, easy said, there is so much to take in, it would not be possible to remember everything off every page read, and even if I could I would not remember what page I read it on if I needed to go back to it.

It is a shame, Canon make great cameras, I am really pleased with mine, in my view, as a beginner to the hobby, not being able to search the manual really does let them down.

Does anyone know a way round this problem?

I purchased my new, entry level, Canon camera a few days ago. (See signature below)

Am I please with the camera? The reply has to be YES.

But what about the manual...

Do I find the manual detailed - yes

Do I find the manual helpful - yes and no

Do I find the manual frustrating - yes as a newby to the hobby I have to say I do

After all these years Canon has been making 'good' cameras, they don't supply a PDF manual with a search facility. I want to learn about my camera, I want to take pictures with it, but I am slowed down because I come across terms I am unaware of and struggle and waste time trying to find the answers. In this advanced technological age, we 'search' for answers, we find them fast. But not with the Canon camera guide, the PDF does not allow me to search the manual.

I feel the manual is designed by people who deal with cameras, know all about the cameras and the various terms but, as a newby to the hobby, I come across something maybe from my camera menu and want to look up what it means in the manual, because I cannot search for the word I am unsure of, I have to glance over the menu, scroll through pages to find what it means. As a beginner to the hobby I do not know all the terms related to my new camera, there are many examples I could give, here is a very simple one, my camera gave 3 options in the menu, One Shot, AI Focus and AI Servo. It took me 20 minutes to find the data explaining what they are do, with search in the PDF manual file I would have found what all three meant in 20 seconds.

With any new hobby, there will always be things we don't know, I have to wonder why, in this day and age, Canon cameras do not have a manual with a search facility?

I am sure Canon would reply to my comments, read the full manual first, easy said, there is so much to take in, it would not be possible to remember everything off every page read, and even if I could I would not remember what page I read it on if I needed to go back to it.

It is a shame, Canon make great cameras, I am really pleased with mine, in my view, as a beginner to the hobby, not being able to search the manual really does let them down.

Does anyone know a way round this problem?

Taking great photos requires years of practice. You can’t just read a manual and understand it instantly.

Those terms you can’t understand? You’ll need to learn them and understand them to take great images.

To get a searchable manual you can download the pdf from canons website, however.

Taking great photos requires years of practice. You can’t just read a manual and understand it instantly.
In fact I learned what I know so far of my new-to-me Canon 20D from Ken Rockwell's Canon 20D User's Guide. If I'd had to go just by the manual, I don't think I'd be as far along as I am.

Those terms you can’t understand? You’ll need to learn them and understand them to take great images.
I regard that as a truism in any field of endeavour.

To get a searchable manual you can download the pdf from canons website, however.
Yup. I was gifted my camera. Did not come with the manual. Downloaded the PDF from Canon's site. Got it on my computer and saved to my iBooks stash so I can refer to it from phone or tablet.

Wish the manual had links in it, though.

Maybe this can help.

The camera manual is just that; its a manual on how to use the various functions and features of your camera. I found the Canon ones for my 400D and 7D to be pretty good - BUT - they are about how to use your tool rather than how to do photography.

As such to the newbie they are in need of some support - Scot Kelby's 4 book Digital Photographer series; Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson - indeed any good how-too photography book will cover the basics.

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson

I downloaded the Kindle version night before last recommended to me by a another helpful guy on here Tcampbell.

I think this is going to be a good book to read, just starting to read it.

Hi Destin, I just been back and downloaded the PDF Manual for the 1300D from canon.com and again it is the same as I already had, I cannot search it?

I have double checked my PDF Reader, it is Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

No search facility??? Any suggestions?

The camera manual is just that; its a manual on how to use the various functions and features of your camera.

That is what I am wanting here Overread, quick search for terms relating to the camera.

I agree Canon manual is for the camera not the photographer.

As photographers (even learners LOL) we need to read about photography, or watch YouTube Videos about photography. I have items on both, my issue here is I cannot search the Canon camera PDF?

Strange if other people can there must be a reason.

If memory serves doesn't the manual have an index at the end?

The camera manual is just that; its a manual on how to use the various functions and features of your camera.

That is what I am wanting here Overread, quick search for terms relating to the camera.

I agree Canon manual is for the camera not the photographer.

As photographers (even learners LOL) we need to read about photography, or watch YouTube Videos about photography. I have items on both, my issue here is I cannot search the Canon camera PDF?

Strange if other people can there must be a reason.

Try using ctrl+f or cmd+f (on Mac). Sometimes that will open a search bar for you.

I've never used a canon manual as I'm a Nikon guy, but I've always been able to search the manuals for my Nikon gear if needed.

Hi Destin, I just been back and downloaded the PDF Manual for the 1300D from canon.com and again it is the same as I already had, I cannot search it?
Searching is a function of the PDF reader, not the PDF.

If memory serves doesn't the manual have an index at the end?

Just seen it Overread, thanks mate. At least until I find out why it won't search terms I can find them here.

Thanks guys, sorry Canon.

There are some really helpful guys on here. Thanks everyone. :icon_thumright:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back