Canon camera and camera manual - good or not so good?

I know you are not enamored with the manual. However, I'll give you the same advice that I got back in 2012 when I got my first dslr and joined this site. Read the manual 3 times.

Is it overkill and boring, yes. But, as mentioned above, it will let you learn about the tool. Which is a piece of the puzzle to getting good images. You will then also have a brief reference of the manual and will be able to reference it in the future should you need to as you are learning.

It's part of the process of the hobby and everyone must go through it.

Have fun with it, you won't know everything next week.

Completely agree with the above but I'll give a slightly different direction.

Read the manual cover to cover with your camera in hand. Follow along with the manual and learn the menus. Don't skip things because "I'll never use that!"
Do this 3 times. Don't go out and try to take pictures tonight. Read the manual.

Then take the camera out and shoot with it. Keep the manual close. Having followed along with the manual 3 times you will have started to build up a bit of memory where things are.

If you just read the manual without a camera in hand you will only learn terms and what they mean. Not how to apply them to your camera.

I know you are not enamored with the manual. However, I'll give you the same advice that I got back in 2012 when I got my first dslr and joined this site. Read the manual 3 times.

Is it overkill and boring, yes. But, as mentioned above, it will let you learn about the tool. Which is a piece of the puzzle to getting good images. You will then also have a brief reference of the manual and will be able to reference it in the future should you need to as you are learning.

It's part of the process of the hobby and everyone must go through it.

Have fun with it, you won't know everything next week.

Everything you say is true ronlane, I have always had a saying, men don't read manuals (until they get stuck.)

I realise the issues, I just got frustrated wanting to know the meaning of something I read in the camera menu but couldn't search the manual. CTRL+F I kick myself now, but in the frustrations I couldn't find search in Adobe Reader and right click, the obvious one, didn't give it me either.

My frustrations I know are not unlike many other people have had...

I have a new toy I want to play
I am reading, a) the Canon camera manual and photography at the same time
I am searching things as they are discussed and trying them out
I am watching YouTube how to Videos, camera model use and photography.
I am doing to many things and I have only had the camera 7 days today.

And one more... I am loving every minute of it, yesterday I did my first Manual photo, indoors, with a glossy computer mouse with a ceiling light directly above. A lot of reflections and lights to baffle the manual shot, but I think it turned out quite well. The question is no doubt, PJ can you do it again, at this stage probably not.

There is such a lot to learn, to me a combination of reading and playing helps gel what is learnt, better than reading a manual 3x first, good advice, I would probably learn faster, but we are all different, as we get older we do things the way we have done in life, my way is suitable for me not everyone, my way probably takes longer to learn, but eventually when I get a cracking photo I can say as the song goes. I did it my way. I just hope I live long enough :icon_camera: :icon_study: :icon_camera: :icon_study: :icon_camera:

Thank you for your excellent advise :icon_thumright:

Back when I bought my Nikon D7000 I found the Manual to be the same way as you.
but even reading it didn't really give me the answers that I wanted.
I found those answers in a book called "Mastering the Nikon D7000" ==> https://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Ni...744&sr=1-1&keywords=mastering+the+nikon+d7000

For your T6/1300D they also make books similar to that such as ==> https://www.amazon.com/Canon-1300D-...&sr=1-4-fkmr0&keywords=mastering+the+canon+T6

Though I've never perused that book you'll find out "how" to use your camera effectively instead of just "how it works/settings" that the manual provides. The manual was very informative, after I actually learned how to use the camera with the above book I mentioned.

There's also websites out there similar to the books though the book I found much more detailed and more rich information than most websites.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi astroNikon, many thanks for the details and links, I have noted the Canon book for consideration later.

Meanwhile, I have watched two Youtube videos,
Canon T3/T5/T6 & 1100D/1200D/1300D Overview Tutorial, 53mins, which was a good start for the camera and
Exposure Explained Simply - Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO, 13mins, also very good start.

I am working slowly through the Canon D1300 Manual, but have just started to read the book..
Understanding Exposure, Fourth Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera by Bryan Peterson.

This looks to be a fantastic book, even better as a Kindle edition as it was about half price. I have only just started and so far only read to the end of Chapter 1, what I also like is that even at this early stage he say... put the book down pick up your camera, do this and see what happens when you change this and that. I learn better with hands on (playing) as I learn.

Lots of... :icon_camera: :icon_study: :icon_camera: :icon_study: :icon_camera:

Many thanks for your suggestions (everyone), I am grateful for any/all suggestions, I am new to the hobby, 7 days old today. But I am also very keen to learn and get shooting. :icon_thumright:

Hi astroNikon, many thanks for the details and links, I have noted the Canon book for consideration later.

Meanwhile, I have watched two Youtube videos,
Canon T3/T5/T6 & 1100D/1200D/1300D Overview Tutorial, 53mins, which was a good start for the camera and
Exposure Explained Simply - Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO, 13mins, also very good start.

I am working slowly through the Canon D1300 Manual, but have just started to read the book..
Understanding Exposure, Fourth Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera by Bryan Peterson.

This looks to be a fantastic book, even better as a Kindle edition as it was about half price. I have only just started and so far only read to the end of Chapter 1, what I also like is that even at this early stage he say... put the book down pick up your camera, do this and see what happens when you change this and that. I learn better with hands on (playing) as I learn.
Many thanks for your suggestions (everyone), I am grateful for any/all suggestions, I am new to the hobby, 7 days old today. But I am also very keen to learn and get shooting. :icon_thumright:

reading the manual is a good idea, youtube videos can help
The Bryan Peterson "Understanding Exposure" and other books will certainly help - and don't forget to check your local library on-line for photography books
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Camera manuals aren't meant to teach photography, they're just a technical reference on the features of the camera itself ... and that somewhat presumes you already knew why you'd want to use that feature.

For example... somewhere in the manual it will tell you how to enable exposure compensation. But it wont tell you why you'd care about "exposure compensation". That's something you'd learn elsewhere and when the metered exposure is too high or too low (and your photos are too dark or too bright)... you'd realize that what you need is a little "exposure compensation" and the manual will tell you how to enable that for your camera model.

Regardless of how many years a person has been doing photography... where you find a control might be different for any camera model. So even experienced photographers read the manual. But again... it's not to learn about photography, it's to learn what features the camera supports and how to access those features.

There are some books that offer a middle-ground... they are written specifically to one camera model only... and they go into depth to explain the feature (a little more depth than just a simple reference explanation found in the manufacturers manual). These books also are not written to teach photography specifically... they're really just meant to go into more depth about the features.

So for example, the David Busch's series has a book for most popular camera models. There's a "David Busch's Canon EOS Rebel T6/1300D Digital SLR Photography" book.

The "Dummies" book for my Canon has been extremely helpful. Larger print for one! I will be looking for some of the books listed above to move on to.

IMO....Manuals... Some are better than others. I learned more using a film camera, then bought a digital that worked like one, Fujifilm XT2. Today's DSLR's are very complicated and menu driven. I like everything to be external, aperture ring, shutter dial, ISO dial, etc. That's just me I suppose. My D3300, then D7200 were very frustrating to me because I was shooting film at the same time. So I ditched those and switched to Fuji, never looked back. The manual for Nikon jumped around and was very confusing, Fujifilm a little better but here's the deal, if you can use a manual SLR film camera, you can pick up a Fujifilm camera and start shooting. The details of fine tuning the image can be found in the manual. For me, it's about taking pictures through the viewfinder, not looking at menus on LCD. I rarely look at my menu, I look through my viewfinder and feel with my fingers to take images, I could never get used to a camera that didn't offer total external control of Aperture, shutter speed, ISO, EC, and drive modes. You may or may not be experiencing that, it took me thousands of dollars to figure that out. I was teaching myself the art of photography through old (70's), John Hedgecoe books and I posted a similar rant and @Gary A. pointed me in the Fuji direction because he was keen at pinpointing my frustration. Mine was purely a SOP or physical approach that mirrored the Hedgecoe books and Gary picked up on it some how and I'm forever grateful.

Last edited:
Years ago when I first got my T2i, I bought a "Canon T2i digital field Guide" by Charlotte something or other. I see there is a 6D version out by Michael Corsentino but sold under the same Publishing company and has the same look. I was new to DSLR at the time and found that book much more helpful in learning the camera and a how to use it in specific situations than the manual. (if i remember there was sections on shooting with back to the sun, low light, fast moving objects.... and some settings to start you in the right direction and which to use depending on what you needed to tweak. (If too much blur adjust this... if background too dark adjust that....) If you can find one for the T6 you have, it's a good cheap book to have a round. It's really aimed at someone starting out with a new camera and specific to that camera so it tells you where to find the settings.

Most reactions

Back