Canon Confirms “Light Leak” Issue in the 5D Mark III

Discussion in 'Canon' started by DScience, Apr 16, 2012.

1. DScience

DScience New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
  2. sovietdoc

sovietdoc New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +75 / 0
    Oh snap indeed.
  3. STM

STM New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0
    Canon makes digital cameras? Who knew? I thought they stopped making cameras with the F1N (just kidding)
  4. mfdrookie516

mfdrookie516 New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    This is why I never buy something fresh on the market. I got screwed on my first new truck... had like 6 recalls in the first year.
  5. rexbobcat

rexbobcat Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1,319 / 0
    It's a good thing I rarely photograph in sheer darkness or with the top LCD on.
  6. DScience

DScience New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    If that was the only problem... However I have a good buddy who has been shooting with it for weeks, and he immediately noticed how his pictures were consistently exposed improperly, on more occasions than just dark conditions.
  7. Dao

Dao Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +350 / 0
    But it said it strong light from the sun also affects the meter.
  8. rexbobcat

rexbobcat Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1,319 / 0
    I would just add some small strips of black tape to the top then. lol.
  9. imagemaker46

imagemaker46 Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1,217 / 0
    Another Canon mistake. Problem with this major flaw is that it can't be fixed with a firmware update like the 1D mklll focus issues. I would guess that it is going to be a complete recall on this body.
  10. DScience

DScience New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    It appears to be their only option.
  11. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +2,940 / 0
    They've already recalled one batch from distributors.
    So I suspect a full recall is going to be needed; plus I know some have not experienced this problem (might be something that is affected by manufacture tolerances and thus maybe not 100% of units are affected - explaining how pre-release builds got through testing) so it might wel lbe something that lingers a little in the second hand market.
  12. 2WheelPhoto

2WheelPhoto New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +994 / 0
    • Like Like x 4
  13. Overread

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +2,940 / 0
    *looks for where he left the ban button* ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  14. sovietdoc

sovietdoc New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +75 / 0
    From what I can tell, when they recall stuff people get their camera back within 5 business days.
  15. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +9,886 / 1
    So, for $3,499 in the USA (or a lot more in the UK and most of Europe), you get a cheap $389 EOS ELAN-type body that doesn't even offer a built-in eyepiece blind for use in the several types of situations where light coming in from the eyepiece can affect the meter's readings???? Are 5D-III users going to need to use that high-tech, $2.49 plastic Canon eyepiece cover thingie??

Introducing the Canon EOS 5D Mark III | Fake Chuck Westfall

A
    ddendum:Oh-My-Gawd--this is a SERIOUS issue that appears worse than first described. As the people at Petapixel stated, "Problem is, the issue isn’t limited to the LCD’s backlight in a dark room. Apparently any light (e.g. sunlight) shining onto the LCD screen can affect exposure". Look at the second video and watch the exposure fluctuate as a small piece of paper (smaller than a candy bar wrapper) is used to "shadow" the LCD...OMG...just plain old ambient light hitting the LCD is influencing the light meter...Holy Deity on a Cracker!!!

Petapixeldotcom, shows two short videos demonstrating serious light influence--with exposure values going from 10 seconds to 5 seconds, and from 6 seconds to 4 seconds...it appears that something as simple as light hitting the top LCD screen can cause the exposure to vary by around 50%...man...talk about bad engineering!!!

Canon Confirms “Light Leak” Issue in the 5D Mark III
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  16. TCampbell

TCampbell Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +962 / 0
    Who meters their exposure while pressing the LCD backlight button? Seriously?!

Here's a quick firmware "fix": patch the firmware so that whenever the light meter activates, the LCD back-light DE-activates. That way it won't throw the exposure.
  17. Overread

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +2,940 / 0
    Problem is that it seems the light seal that the LCD light gets though also allows sources such as strong sunlight to also penetrate the body and cause exposure problems.
  18. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +9,886 / 1
    I watched the videos on Pixelwhatever...the second video shows a scenario done in DAYLIGHT, with the lens cap on, to thus produce a long time exposure indication; when the man moved a small strip of paper near the front of the camera, on the lens side in front of the top LCD, the exposure shifted by basically 50%, depending on whether direct daylight was hitting the top LCD, or if the slight shadow the piece of paper was casting cut the light level reaching the LCD down a bit...so, it would seem that there is some type of "light leak" surrounding the LCD display...somehow it seems that light rays are influencing the metering through the LCD panel...
  19. TCampbell

TCampbell Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +962 / 0
    I'd need to understand how they re-created this in daylight.

True light is typically measured in "lumens", "lux" or "foot candles", but cameras measure in "EVs" (stops). Lux is measured linearly. EVs are measured exponentially. Each time the EV increases by 1, the lux doubles.

EV 0 = Lux 2.5
    EV 1 = Lux 5
    EV 2 = Lux 10
    EV 3 = Lux 20
    EV 4 = Lux 40
    etc.

A daylight shot is EV 15 or Lux 81,920

If you're in an extremely dark place -- lets say it's EV 1 (which isn't completely black... but close). You have 5 lux. Now you expose the LCD to sunlight and note that it changes the exposure by half a stop (50% increase... a full stop would require a 100% increase). The real amount of light leakage would have to be 2-3 lux to have this much sway on the exposure.

And yet... the sunlight exposed would be over 80k lux... but only 2-3 lux managed to leak in. This could create a difference of 1/2 stop ... but ONLY at EV 1.

If you shooting outside in full sun (which is the only place where full sun should be hitting the LCD) and that same amount of light leakage occurs, the amount of lux is so tiny that it's basically not measurable. (it would be 1/40,000ths of a stop).

I'm sure the light leakage is real. But I don't think it's significant. I can't imagine how the camera got through testing with all the prototype bodies that went to pros and nobody noticed a problem. It seems as if the only way to measure the problem is in a contrived / non-real world test environment.

Let me ask the question a different way (since I'm still shooting with a meager 5D II and don't have a III).

If you stand outside with your camera at noon on a sunny day and meter a shot, can you get an EV 15 exposure reading with the LCD covered with light proof paper? (e.g. ISO 100, 1/100th or 125th and f/16) And... then removing the light-proof paper so the sun can now shower down light upon the exposed LCD... do you see the exposure change?

It's possible that I haven't seen the right video to demonstrate the problem and it's worse than I think. But so far, the videos that I've seen demonstrating the problem can only do so if the camera is in an extremely dark place ... OR require that you do something to make the camera think it's in a dark place (put the lens cap on... put a back-cover over the eyepiece, and then turn on the LCD or flood it with bright light.)

In essence, I suspect the reason this problem wasn't caught prior to production is because it doesn't impact real world shooting scenarios in any meaningful way.
  20. DScience

DScience New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    Friend, however you want to look at it, however you want to justify it, Canon is possibly selling a 'defective' $3,5000 camera. It does not matter in the least if it isn't affecting ALL real world situations. If the fault in the meter system affects ANY situation, then that is simply unacceptable in my opinion.