canon d10 light meter problem

vonnagy

have kiwi, will travel...
Reaction score
Website
www.vonnagy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My light meter has been failing pretty miserable lately, it has been suggested exposures nearly 4 stops over what it should be in both manual and auto modes.

I will prolly get it serviced, but I am also thinking this might be main battery (as opposed to the rechargeable one). Has anyone had similar probs with their canon d10 light meter?

cheers in advance!

I haven't had that problem with my Rebel Vonnagy, but from what I've read in the 20D manual, that battery is only for the internal clock. I could be wrong. It would be nice if that was your only problem. I guess it wouldn't hurt to replace it and see what happens. It could save you a bundle of money.

Good luck.

vonnagy said:
My light meter has been failing pretty miserable lately, it has been suggested exposures nearly 4 stops over what it should be in both manual and auto modes!

Do you have a film SLR to try your lens on? Just today I was talking to a co-worker who had a problem with his lens stopping down properly. he has a nikon and their lenses use a manual coupling lever to change the aperture, and it turned out his was calibrated incorrectly and he was getting consistent overexposure. I know canon doesn't use the same type of system, but since the camera meters with the aperture wide open and just stops it down right before taking the photo, maybe your aperture isn't closing properly due to a failed motor in the lens, or some other mechanical failure? This could cause consistent overexposure.

The other possibility I can think of is maybe some crud physically blocking the metering sensor(s?) in the camera. I'm not really sure how likely that is though...

Have you compared the exposures your camera selects to another camera's meter, or are you just looking at the photographs that result? That could at least give you a hint about whether it's actually a metering problem or something else like the shutter or aperture not working properly..

(And uhh, you don't have exposure compensation turned on though, right? :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back