canon d10 prime lens?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by vonnagy, Apr 5, 2004.

1. vonnagy

vonnagy have kiwi, will travel...

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've done a bit of research on the canon prime lenses, i am pretty keen on getting the 85mm f/1.8. Anyone have this? I tested a 50mm at the store and loved it!

The 85mm X 1.6 Crop factor in the d10 should make it a 136mm, right in the range for portrait and the short end of telephoto.

Anyone have any prime lenses they would recommend? I am leaning toward the canon one.

cheers!

2. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have both the 85mm f1.8 and the 50mm f1.4, and I love them both. The 85 is what got me to sell of my zooms and enticed me to spring for the 50/1.4.

Which 50 did you try, the 1.8 or the 1.4? There's a fairly big build and price difference, but I think the 1.4 is worth it if you can afford it.

The 50 and 85 make one hell of a combo.

I have some links in this thread.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have the 50 F/1.8 mark I...I love it. They don't make that one anymore. The Mark II is optically the same but has a plastic mount and no distance scale. Very good bang for the buck.

The 50 F/1.4 is a USM, I think, while the 1.8 is not.

4. wwjoeld

wwjoeld TPF Noob!

i use the 50mm 1.8 regularly and it works great, i have it one my camera 40% of the time, those few extra stops are great to work with.

5. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yup. The 1.4 has full-time manual focus capability. The main reason I went with it over the 1.8 is the smoother bokah. Most of my images have shallow DOF, so I felt it was worth it. Both the 85 and the 50/1.4 have a wonderful look to the out-of-focus portions of the image.

The 50/1.8 is an excellent lens, though. At it's price, I think everyone that owns a Canon EOS camera should own one if they don't already have the 1.4. There are some shots a zoom lens just isn't capable of.

6. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    I too have both the 50 F/1.8 ( older metal mount version ) and the 85 F/1.8. I've had the 50 for several years and the 85 for a few months. I absolutely love em both. For me they were the best combo in my price range. Both were purchased used and most of my low light indoor shots have been with one of these lenses.

1st two with the 50mm
    http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2514&highlight=

My toying with the 85mm on my d30 ( sorry but some of the versions are missing from my picturetrail account, last one is still there )
    http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2945&highlight=