canon D70 or nikon 750

shuttersoul

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking to upgrade from my canon t3i.
I have 4 canon lenses (kit, nifty-fifty and 2 zooms). If I upgrade canon, I only plan to keep the 50mm and 55-250.
My main subject matter is portraits. Also inside and low light. Plan to get a 24-70 fairly soon.
SOOOOO, the likely obvious choice might be the nikon.
EXCEPT I can get the D70 body for $698 (plus a printer-though I could care less about the printer) vs the nikon for at least double.
Opinions on the choices please!

You are talking about two very different cameras. One camera is crop sensor and the other is full frame. I'd suggest you go to the store and check them out and see which one fits and feels right in your hands. If you go Nikon, you're not just changing camera bodies..you are changing systems.

General rule of thumb is stick to one camera maker, jumping from one maker to another is confusing and very costly.
There is no comparison between the 70D and D750, two very different animals, the D750 will crush the 70D in most categories but then its FF vs APS-C
For portraits the D750 is an even more obvious choise
I am a Nikon guy and my vote is obviously the D750, if you want to stay with Canon then only camera that is about same level as the D750 is the 5D III

Yes, they are two very different animals for sure. And I finally found a place that has BOTH cameras that I can feel in my hands. That is hard to find. And harder to find without a tether. Has anyone had the opp to try both out? For someone like me, who has not experienced FF yet, what will I find the main differences to be?

I guess the cost effective way to go is get the D70. But I just wonder what the real life difference would be if I had a FF, whether the canon D6 or nikon 750. Also thanks for the opinions!!

General rule of thumb is stick to one camera maker, jumping from one maker to another is confusing and very costly.
There is no comparison between the 70D and D750, two very different animals, the D750 will crush the 70D in most categories but then its FF vs APS-C
I am a Nikon guy and my vote is obviously the D750, if you want to stay with Canon then only camera that is about same level as the D750 is the 5D III

It's a nifty fifty and a kit lens, so not much $ invested there. If you want to go full frame and switch to Nikon, I would think this would be a good time to do so. Even if you just got a 50mm Nikon for now, I think you'd be better off with FF and then you could get the 24-70mm Nikon soon after.

I would make the body decision before I purchased any lenses though, to avoid being locked into Canon.

The differences are better high ISO performance, bigger and brighter viewfinder, bigger pixels, so much better dynamic range & lens diffraction occurs starts at a smaller aperture than crop does. I'm sure there are more..but those were the ones that I seemed to notice.

I tend to shoot a lot in low light, so it was a no brainer for me when I decided to go full frame. Best decision I ever made.

Last edited:
Exactly--that is why I am contemplating the switch now. Once I go up one more rung, I think I will most likely stay with that brand/system for the long haul.

It's a nifty fifty and a kit lens, so not much $ invested there. If you want to go full frame and switch to Nikon, I would think this would be a good time to do so. Even if you just got a 50mm Nikon for now, I think you'd be better off with FF and then you could get the 24-70mm Nikon soon after.

I would make the body decision before I purchased any lenses though, to avoid being locked into Canon.

Exactly--that is why I am contemplating the switch now. Once I go up one more rung, I think I will most likely stay with that brand/system for the long haul.

Most reactions

Back