Canon DSLR

SanctuS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok, first of all, I hate to beat a dead horse, but I need others inputs on getting a DSLR...

I have pretty much settled on a Canon, and I think I would like one of the following: a 20D, 30D, or 40D...

My biggest concern is how much bang I can get for the buck. As in, I have very little money to spend on a camera, and I just need to know what things I might miss out on, in everyday use, if I went for something older, such as the 20D or 30D.

Opinions?

20D and 30D are very similar. 40D being that it is the newest camera has some significant improvements.

Personally... I'd just go with the 40D (if you can afford it) or the 20D (for more budget minded). All of them are more than capable.

Considering you did say you have little money, have you considered teh Rebels? Might be enough savings to get you on the path for a nice lens.... perhaps at the very least the nifty fifty

I have a 30D - LOVE IT.

Would not mind a 40D, but cost of 40D ($1100) can be used for new lens.

You can get a used/refurbished 30D for less then $700 - I believe Adorama.com has two. B&H may have one also - did not check this week.

Okay, I am pretty strapped for cash, but the 30D looks affordable enough. The next question is: is the lens that comes with the lens kit worthing buying with the camera?

Okay, I am pretty strapped for cash, but the 30D looks affordable enough. The next question is: is the lens that comes with the lens kit worthing buying with the camera?

if it's the kit with a 28-135 and IF you have the lenses that are in your sig, Canon EF 75-300mm & Canon EF 28-90mm, i'd say no.. you already have that range covered.
however, the price is good and you could always turn around and sell it.

if it comes with the 17-85, i'd say yes.. you don't have a wide lens in your arsenal.

Either of these would serve you well. In terms of comparison, they all three deliver the same quality image. I can't think of one feature out of the three that is a must have for everyday shooting, but there are some that are convenient. Just my Opinion

As I Just posted in another thread, I originally wanted a 40D, and who wouldn't? But after talking to a few people I went with a 20D. If you have or want to spend the money, go for the 40D, but for the price a 20D is a great choice. The only big things that stand out on 40D are 1.5fps faster, a bigger buffer, and different focusing screens available. Everything else is pretty comparable. I would suggest a 20 or 30D body and shoot with the lenses you have spend what you save on some new glass.

Yeah, I agree with RyanLilly. The 40D has LiveView, which I imagine is (occasionally) handy for Landscape, Architecture and Macro photography... but not indispensable. Other than that, the 20D will do the trick just fine. Spend the money on glass, it's the better investment.

Most reactions

Back