Canon EF 100-400L question

tvphotog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm ready to pull the trigger on the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM to use as a long lens with the 24-105. I've heard of problems with the push-pull mechanism enhancing dust movement around the inside of the camera and on the sensor; also the friction ring being either too loose or too tight.

Is there anything else I should know about operating this particular lens to improve shooting with it?

Thanks.

Yeah, don't drop it. :lol: I used that lens on occasions and it is a little wierd getting use to the push/ pull zoom. Once mastered, you will have no problem. IQ is quite impressive throughout. The friction ring is adjustable and there is a zoom-lock I believe.

I don't have any additional issues with dust. The zoom is lockable and does require you to snug the ring up before throwing the camera over your shoulder or pointing downward. Otherwise it will slide to full zoom.

This is a wonderful lens that requires quite a bit of light. Once you get the hang of it, you'll get superb shots even at full zoom.

It can get a little heavy after a day long hike.

Wonderful lens.... It was my first L lens and I've been happy with it over the years. I've bought and sold a lot of high end lenses over the years and this one always manages to stay in my bag.

You'll get used to the push pull zoom design.. in fact. I like it.. I can go from 100mm to 400mm very quickly (quicker than rotating a ring). Depending on what I"m shooting, I'll set the friction ring accordingly; loose for fast moving subjects. Great IQ and extremely versatile.. not to mention one of Canon's most popular.

IMG_2690.jpg

I've used my 100-400 4.5/5.6L for about 4 years now and I've not had any problem with dust being sucked in. And I've shot in some pretty dusty areas like barns and fields during herding and agility where dust was being kicked up.

It won't take you long to find the right spot on the friction adjustment ring either. The one thing that it did and still does bother me sometimes is where the focus ring is. I like to rest the front of the lens in the heel of my left hand and if I'm not careful I can move the focus ring after I've set focus. Most of the time I leave the tripod collor on and rest that in my left hand. When I don't want to do that I just spin the tripod collor up to the top of the lens so it's out of my way.

Don't lose the bag it comes in. It has a belt loop and you can carry the bag on your belt and either keep the 100-400 lens in it or another lens when you are walking around. I wear a waist pack but like to keep the 100-400 in it's own bag, which is also good for my 70-200 2.8L IS or a bottle of water.

I believe the 70-200 2.8L IS is also heavier than the 100-400 lens. The 100-400 is narrower but also longer when it's fully extended. It's a great lens and other than wishing it was a 2.8 (yea, right) I wish it was at least a 4.0 across it's whole zoom. I have heard rumors that that might be coming out of Canon in the near future. That would be nice if it was true and it didn't cost an even bigger fortune. :D

Mike

Most reactions

Back