Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS vs ?

Hobbes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I have finally got my tax refund from one government lol so now I am thinking about getting a new walkaround lens preferably an used one if I will be able to find one. I have heard some wonderful things about the EF 24-105 and read a few reviews. I am sure it's waaay better than my EF-S 17-85 IS lens but the only thing I don't like about the L lens is it's quite narrow, 24mm or 38mm on a crop body course I do take quite a lot of landscape shots but also animals (not wildlife) and portraits. So I am wondering if there is any other lens out there that is better or similar to the Canon lens? and I'd like to hear your opinion about that lens :)
Any kind of advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

Have you considered the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS? Basically the equiv focal lengths of the 24-105 on a crop sensor.

Well yes but I don't really want to buy another EF-S lens because of it's incompatibility with fullframe bodies which I do hope to get one day lol and I think 55mm isn't really long enough for a walkaround lens but thanks for the suggestion though :)

If you plan your tax refunds properly you could end up with the Trifecta of Canon glass. I have it an love it on both crop bodies and ff bodies. That trifecta being the 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L & 70-200 f2.8L.

I have it on good authority that if you purchase any two of those lenses at the same time Canon throws in either a good marriage counselor or a good divorce lawyer. :D

yes.... the trifecta is very nice... IMO not really a "walk around lens".

OP, you are pretty much out of luck and experiencing what many consider a disadvantage of a crop sensored camera. The 16-35 f/2.8 and 17-40 f/4L make good walk around lenses (popular focals for journalists too) but I too found them a bit too short in focal length. I personally don't like the IQ of many zooms that range from ultra-wide to telephoto focal ranges.

I will put in a plug for the 24-105L IS. I LOVE that lens. When I reach for one lens to carry for walk around, it's that lens. YOu will not be unhappy with it. It's focal range and image quality are awesome.

If you plan your tax refunds properly you could end up with the Trifecta of Canon glass. I have it an love it on both crop bodies and ff bodies. That trifecta being the 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L & 70-200 f2.8L.

I have it on good authority that if you purchase any two of those lenses at the same time Canon throws in either a good marriage counselor or a good divorce lawyer. :D

yeah... those lenses are the ones I want in the future, whenever that will be lol but sadly my tax refund was far from enough for all three and I have other priorities so I think I will only be able to spend like a thousand bucks which would only be enough for an used 24-105 f4/L IS. Don't worry though I am still too young to get a marriage counselor :p

yes.... the trifecta is very nice... IMO not really a "walk around lens".

OP, you are pretty much out of luck and experiencing what many consider a disadvantage of a crop sensored camera. The 16-35 f/2.8 and 17-40 f/4L make good walk around lenses (popular focals for journalists too) but I too found them a bit too short in focal length. I personally don't like the IQ of many zooms that range from ultra-wide to telephoto focal ranges.

I think for those 3 lenses you probably would need at least two bodies to walk around with lol. A full frame for those wide angle lenses and a crop body for the telephoto one -.- but whatever I won't even bother to dream about those dream gears right now lol. From what I have heard those L zoom lenses aren't that inferior compared to primes at least when you don't need to print huge posters or something that which I don't lol.

I will put in a plug for the 24-105L IS. I LOVE that lens. When I reach for one lens to carry for walk around, it's that lens. YOu will not be unhappy with it. It's focal range and image quality are awesome.

yeah that's what I have read in those reviews too. So I guess there are no cheaper alternative to that lens huh. Well I just hope to find an used one somewhere lol. Btw does any of you know if there is a Canadian ebay where I don't have to pay duty and crap when purchasing there?

Last edited:
It all depends on what you want. Personally, I like having a lens that I can use as a walk around. When I do not want to carry around a lot of equipment, this lens is PERFECT. The focal range makes it a great single lens for walk around. F4 is the only limitation at all. With the high IDO noise reduction on the cameras today, I am not afraid to use this in lower light situations. I still have F2.8 lenses for those shots. Just pointing out that this lens will perform very well for you in most situations.

If I were going to have to pick one lens to use, this would be it.

Hobbes;1625523]yeah... those lenses are the ones I want in the future, whenever that will be lol but sadly my tax refund was far from enough for all three and I have other priorities so I think I will only be able to spend like a thousand bucks which would only be enough for an used 24-105 f4/L IS. Don't worry though I am still too young to get a marriage counselor :p
Just wait, you will need it someday. :mrgreen: :lmao:

I think for those 3 lenses you probably would need at least two bodies to walk around with lol. A full frame for those wide angle lenses and a crop body for the telephoto one -.- but whatever I won't even bother to dream about those dream gears right now lol. From what I have heard those L zoom lenses aren't that inferior compared to primes at least when you don't need to print huge posters or something that which I don't lol.
That is actually pretty much my norm other than field sports. Then it is often 3 bodies. L glass is cream of the crop with a cream of the crop price tag. But it is built to last with the best optics available.

yeah that's what I have read in those reviews too. So I guess there are no cheaper alternative to that lens huh. Well I just hope to find an used one somewhere lol. Btw does any of you know if there is a Canadian ebay where I don't have to pay duty and crap when purchasing there?
The 24-105 is a good piece of glass. Like others, the one drawback for me was the f4. To me that was a critical drawback since I shoot a lot of sports. After selling my 10-22 and getting the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 nothing in my kit now is slower than f2.8. That compliments my shooting style, and is not necessary for everyone.

Keep in mind too, I was having a little fun with my first post. It took the wife & I raising 3 kids and getting them through college and married before there was enough money at the end of the month to put together the glass I have now. Just comes with time and age usually. Which really seems backwards when you come to think of it. But that's life. :D

I just got back from a week in Rome and then a week in Tuscany. I took three lenses with me, My Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, my Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L and my Canon 70-300 IS( because its light and really a very sharp lens).

I mostly used the 11-16 and the 24-70, what I really found was I should of had the canon 16-35L also because the gap from 16 to 24 was a glaring hole.

In Rome I prolly would of used the 16-35 most of the time. Someone had mention this hole in my lens lineup once and I thought "No big deal" I was wrong. Guess what me next lens will be?:lol:.

Planning on a month in Tuscany next year and having a low balcony in the piazza from the Palio and the 16-35 L will be in the lineup.

I love my 24 - 70 f/2.8 L on a full frame sensor, but it's a little short.

Speaking of "holes", would it be managable to own these 3 lenses: 16-35 L, 50mm, 70-200 L?

It should be. Remember, you have legs.. :)

It should be. Remember, you have legs.. :)

Which is one of the reasons I opt for fast glass over wider range glass. If I use my legs all is good most of the time. I always carry a pocket knife, but all is not good in low light if I try to take an f4 lens and with that pocketknife hollow out the inside of the lens to an f2.8. Just never seems to work right after I get done. Maybe I need a bigger knife. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back