Canon EF 5) f/1.8 II or Canon EF 50 f/1.4 USM?

decado

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I want to get a good lense with a very wide maximum aperture for very sharp landscape shots, macro shots, and low light conditions but I'm not really sure which of these lenses to get. If I got the 50 f/1.8 II it would only cost about $100 and I could get the lens fairly soon, or I could get the 50 f/1.4 but it would be a few months before I can afford that one. I have a EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 right now, would it be worth waiting a few months for the f/1.4 or should I just get the f/1.8?

I had the 50 1.8 for about a year and rarely used it. Got the 50 1.4 and use it a lot. I personally think the 50 1.8's are cheap for a reason....they suck. The out of focus qualities are horrible in my opinion. And the out of focus highlights have a severe hexagonal shape that is artsy-fartsy, but looks like crap. The build is horrendous, the autofocus is slow and noisey. The manual focus ring is all but non-exsistant. I gave mine away when I got the 50 1.4. I would like to try the 50 1.2, as the 85 1.2 is just awesome. But on topic, if it were me, I would get the 50 1.4. Don't be afraid to find a used one to save some cash.

Montana wrote,"I personally think the 50 1.8's are cheap for a reason....they suck. The out of focus qualities are horrible in my opinion. And the out of focus highlights have a severe hexagonal shape that is artsy-fartsy, but looks like crap. The build is horrendous, the autofocus is slow and noisey. The manual focus ring is all but non-exsistant. I gave mine away when I got the 50 1.4."

Wow...my experiences exactly. I too, gave mine away to my wife's nephew when he went to design school to study photography. I would also add that the 1.8 is not too good when shot directly toward strong light sources--it flares a lot worse than the 1.4 version, but then the 1.4 version is Canon's "standard" professional 50mm lens, and has been for many years. If waiting a "few months" will allow you to get a professional lens that will last for 15 years, it is surely worth that time, rather than getting a lens that you will not want to shoot with after a year. Right?

Wow, Derrel and I seen eye to eye for once. LOL :hug::

Before "What digital camera should I buy?"...this was the most often asked question on internet photography forums.

I agree with those above.
The 50mm F1.8 II, does have a place. It's only $100 and is a good starting lens for those looking for something different than their 'kit' lens. However, if you have higher photographic aspirations, save your money and invest in the 50mm F1.4. It's a much better lens that will probably last a lifetime. And in the grand scheme of things, the 50mm F1.4 is actually a great bargain of a lens....just look up the price of the 50mm F1.2 L ;)

I've got the older version of the 50mm F1.8. It's alright but I still don't use it much because of the slow & noisy focus motor.

What about buy the 50mm F/1.8 now so that you can enjoy the lens without waiting, and also save money for the 1.4. 50mm F/1.8 lens is a very popular lens because it is the best bang for the bucks.

One year ago, the lens cost less than $90 at Adorama. Now, it is about $110 (current price at Adorama). And for a one year old used 50mm f/1.8 lens in good condition, I will expect to be close to $90.

One year later after you save up more money, you can sell the F/1.8 version (take no or little lost) and use that money together with the money you save toward the new lens such as 50mm F/1.4 USM or get a 85mm F/1.8 USM even. (that's what I did)

But of course, if you think you can save up the money for the 1.4 in couple months, that's a different story.

hmm... Dao, you have a decent point about pricing, I have noticed that most of my lenses have gone up in price nearly to the point of current used prices being what I paid new just a year ago.

Anyway I would agree that the 1.4 is much beter than the 1.8 and worth the money.

hmm... Dao, you have a decent point about pricing, I have noticed that most of my lenses have gone up in price nearly to the point of current used prices being what I paid new just a year ago.

Anyway I would agree that the 1.4 is much beter than the 1.8 and worth the money.

Yes, good popular lens will hold their value very well. I remember people here said they bought their 50mm F/1.4 new for US$250. Now .... Adorama sell it for $400!

I bought my EF 85mm F/1.8 .. maybe couple month ago from beach camera for $350 (I paid less than $350 since I got discount at that time) But now, I could not find the 85mm from Beach Camera, but Adorama is sell it for $439.

It is sad that the camera lens price keep going up like this ....:(

Yeah, I'm glad that I have most of my lens needs covered. It's going to get expensive if I ever go full frame.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back