Canon EF 50mm F/1.4 USM - sharpness fully open?

prodigy2k7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some say at 1.4 its not always sharp. Others say at 1.4 its sharp just easier to not focus on the right part of the subject.
Anybody use this lens and have any comments about sharpness at F/1.4

Theres another thread going on right now on this. I think there some good info there.

I know, im talking about something more specific

Most lenses are not at their sharpest when wide open. They usually get sharper as you stop down and hit their sweet spot at around one to two full stops down from max. Some people also say that most lenses are at their best at F8.

An exception might be top quality telephoto lenses...which are expected to be used primarily at their max aperture and so are designed to be at their best when wide open.

I just want some comments from someone who specifically used this lens at F/1.4 and what they think about it

I've used one briefly but don't own it. The people that I know, who own it...they all love it. They say it's as close as you can get to 'L' quality, without paying for an 'L' lens.

I own the 50 1.4 and it is sharp wide open. It's sharper when at f/1.8.

I've used one briefly but don't own it. The people that I know, who own it...they all love it. They say it's as close as you can get to 'L' quality, without paying for an 'L' lens.

Same here...almost everyone I know who has it loves it. I've never used one, so I dont know for personal experience though. :greenpbl:

Hey Prodigy - you ever read this guy?

http://www.photozone.de/

I've reviewed the recent purchases I made on his site, and I like his feedback. He thinks the 50mm f/1.4 is VERY good, and highly recommended. If I get a 50, this is the one I would get, I think.

No, but I like it thanks for linking me :)

My photography friend has this lens... and he complains that it is visibly softer wide open... but then again as most people say, all lenses lose a little sharpness wideopen, but he was not impressed and doesn't use it much at all at F/1.4.

I own the 50mm 1.4 and it's just rockin for the price....:thumbup:

When it's possible (when I know I won't need Zoom-ability) I take the 50 1.4 instead of my 24-70 L - THAT's how sharp it is :heart:

Most reactions

Back