Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 lens a.k.a Nifty Fifty

Meggy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What is your opinion on this lens? This is the cheapest available Canon lens and I personally feel this is the BEST lens for its price. It is a must have for all DSLR owners, especially if you are into portrait or street photography.

Post pictures taken using this lens if you have any. Would love to see them :D

I've been wondering the same, and all the reviews are great. Can we see some photos?

I recently got one back in August for my B-day and I REALLY like it! :)

Canon 50mm EF-II lens at f/10. Studio flash illumination. 8.2 MP Canon 20D capture.

original.jpg

_MG_2451_As-Shot_1000x.jpg photo - Derrel photos at pbase.com

I've been wondering the same, and all the reviews are great. Can we see some photos?

If you're still wondering whether to buy this or not, I'd say go ahead and buy it. Take my word on this.
This lens makes the 'L' series look sombre. Heh :D

fyi not sure if anyone else has it cheaper but wolf camera has it online for 115, that includes shipping and tax

At f/1.8
You can see the shallow depth of field at this wide aperture.

You can also see it's pentagonal bokeh from poor diaphragm design. But if ~$100USD is your budget, the lens is a sure winner... And when stopped down it's actually quite sharp.

I actually just ordered this lens and it is being shipped as we speak. And just those two images are already convincing. The only cons I hear for this lens is the material it is made out of.

well i just got mine from wolf today and i have to say compaired to the kits i have this thing is great. i cant wait till i can get out and start shooting it. yes it is plastic but as long as you take care of your gear who cares what its made of.

While some might have issue with the plastic on the thrifty fifty. I can say from personal misfortune that it withstood a fall that took out my usm telephoto. And it's my go to lens provided my subjects don't mind me getting a little close.

... great value, fantastic shots, best $100 I've spent in a long, long time!

o hey tyler said:
You can also see it's pentagonal bokeh from poor diaphragm design. But if ~$100USD is your budget, the lens is a sure winner... And when stopped down it's actually quite sharp.

At 1.8 the bokeh is round. All lens openings are round until they're stopped down.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back