Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 lens a.k.a Nifty Fifty

Looking good - I got a $100 voucher for xmas, since pretty much all other lens prices are ridiculous down here I might grab the nifty..
Thanks

Recently got the 50mm f/1.4 USM - Absolutely love it. I looked at the 1.8 and noticed one or two things.
The 1.4 is only 2/3 of a stop difference no not drastic there.

The two big things and why I recommend the 1.4 - a MUCH nicer bokeh and the build quality it so much nicer. Plus if you want a 50mm lens with such a high f-stop you want to shoot some minor action - kids with a wide open aperture. The fast focus there will help immensely. - Just my thoughts, so damn tired i hope this makes sense haha

i have this! this is a great lens...even better than the kit lens provided with my 40D.. :)

I selected my focus points based on my subject. I don't use auto focus selection. I would select the focus point closest to the eyes and when I went to shoot, it couldn't decide to focus on the background or the subject. Idk, maybe I was doing something wrong.

Im sorry, but you really can't blame the lens in this situation. What you should've done is select the center focus point, focus on your subject, half-press thus locking the autofocus, then recompose, and fire.

I got this lens to one of my first and favorite such great pics for $100 I recently picked up a sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM and it really is the almighty 50mm lens lol

50mmEX.jpg

Here is one photo I took couple weeks back.
I was able to pick it up while it was on sale for about $100 !
So far with the results I love it.

auto focus in low light is crap. It takes way too long to find a focus point and people are like "hello, are you gonna take this picture?" I had to manually focus because it kept focusing on the background.

I selected my focus points based on my subject. I don't use auto focus selection. I would select the focus point closest to the eyes and when I went to shoot, it couldn't decide to focus on the background or the subject. Idk, maybe I was doing something wrong.

Im sorry, but you really can't blame the lens in this situation. What you should've done is select the center focus point, focus on your subject, half-press thus locking the autofocus, then recompose, and fire.

Actually, Yes, you can blame the lens. And what Lucky did is exactly what you have to do in low light situations.. focus manually.
The lens is great.. for $100. But it has it's limitations. And the auto-focus is definitely one of them.
It's aperture blades and very loud focus motor are the others.
I found the 'nifty fifty' to be a very good learning tool.
It taught me a lot about how much light is actually necessary and a ton about DOF.
But alas, it is a $100 lens. And when compared to other lenses out there, the IQ isn't as great as some what lead you to believe. AND the auto focus sucks.

IMO.

I don't think that this is a fair generalization. If one is using the centre focus point with a shallow depth of field and following your instructions, focus will be off every time. I learned this the hard way on a zoo trip and missed focus on 80% of my shots. IMO Lucky is using the right method.

Since using the focus point closest to where I want my focus in the frame and recomposing, my focus accuracy is nearly perfect.

Most reactions

Back