Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS thoughts...

Unfourtunatly you will almost always get what you pay for. I shot with the older sigma 70-200 and it turned out to be garbage. The image quality is good sometimes, but for me if a lens isnt gonna last theres no point in spending money on it. Now a days the only off brand company i use is tokina.

Sigma are quite capable of making pro grade glass (their 180mm macro lens is far more popular than the canon 180mm L macro lens) so I have no problems considering their products as viable options.

The big difference in the 70-200mm from sigma and canon is that the f2.8 IS L from canon is fully weather sealed whilst sigma cannot give that feature (because they don't have the exact lens mount specs, just reversed designed ones from existing canon models - which is all any 3rd party lens makers have these days). For me that is a consideration (even if my current camera is lacking in proper weather sealing).

For others it might not be a worry at all and it would have to wait for the sigma lens to be on the market to see how it performs - remember many consider the sigma 50mm f1.4 to be better than can canon 50mm f1.4.

The 70-200 2.8 IS-USM loses some sharpness at the longer end, particularly when shot on an APS-C Canon body...it's an old enough design that it's really "best" on FF. That's why Canon is re-designing the lens--the newer f/4 IS design optically is a bit better than the older 2.8 IS model. It's not like it's a pig or anything, the 2.8 IS USM--it's a very solid lens, especially on FF. But it does taper off in sharpness beyond about 140mm. However, around the 135mm mark at f/6.3 or so, it's simply amazing...

If I were going to buy a lens for use on a really,really high-density,smaller sensor like the 7D, I'd go for the newest lens that delivers the absolute highest MTF--and right now, that's the f/4 IS-USM version...and probably the "new" Mark II f/2.8 model. I have not seen the new 70-200 2.8 Mark II's MTF charts or any samples from it.

The new Sigma "could be" a great lens; it uses Sigma's newly developed Fluorite-Like Dispersion glass, which could resolve chromatic aberration issues at wide apertures like the all-important f/2.8 to f/4.5 zone where older, less-ambitious lenses like the Sigma 70-200's have not been as good as Canon or Nikon high-grade $1699-$2400 lens designs. Sigma has not yet announced the price of their new 70-200 2.8 OS lens; it might be higher, like $1699, and it "might be" kick-ass, like their 150mm macro.

I like mine. I use it in the studio and like the images I get. It's heavy, but I'm strong, on my 1Ds body it feels proportional. If I carry it around I can always use it as a defensive weapon :thumbup:

Unfourtunatly you will almost always get what you pay for. I shot with the older sigma 70-200 and it turned out to be garbage. The image quality is good sometimes, but for me if a lens isnt gonna last theres no point in spending money on it. Now a days the only off brand company i use is tokina.

If you look at my signature, I have several "off-brand" lenses including both Sigma and Tamron. I have been happy with all of them. Would I like some "L" glass in my collection? Yes, I would. Do I consider off-brand lenses to be "garbage"? Absolutely not in my experience. Have people ever had individual issues with either Canon "L" glass or Nikon glass? Yes.

One of the largest factors for my selection of the 2.8 versus the 4.0 was the larger ap for lower light, but given the sharpness of the 4 stated by several on here and the realaiztion that this lens would probably serve little purpose indoors anyways, perhaps the 4 is the more logical choice.

The 70-200 2.8 IS-USM loses some sharpness at the longer end, particularly when shot on an APS-C Canon body...it's an old enough design that it's really "best" on FF. That's why Canon is re-designing the lens--the newer f/4 IS design optically is a bit better than the older 2.8 IS model. It's not like it's a pig or anything, the 2.8 IS USM--it's a very solid lens, especially on FF. But it does taper off in sharpness beyond about 140mm. However, around the 135mm mark at f/6.3 or so, it's simply amazing...

If I were going to buy a lens for use on a really,really high-density,smaller sensor like the 7D, I'd go for the newest lens that delivers the absolute highest MTF--and right now, that's the f/4 IS-USM version...and probably the "new" Mark II f/2.8 model. I have not seen the new 70-200 2.8 Mark II's MTF charts or any samples from it.

The new Sigma "could be" a great lens; it uses Sigma's newly developed Fluorite-Like Dispersion glass, which could resolve chromatic aberration issues at wide apertures like the all-important f/2.8 to f/4.5 zone where older, less-ambitious lenses like the Sigma 70-200's have not been as good as Canon or Nikon high-grade $1699-$2400 lens designs. Sigma has not yet announced the price of their new 70-200 2.8 OS lens; it might be higher, like $1699, and it "might be" kick-ass, like their 150mm macro.

I agree that the Canon gets softer on the long end. I shoot at about 135 on the long end. But the lens is great from 2.8 on. No need to stop down to 6.3 with my copy.

Assuming I proceed with this lens,the 4.0L what are some good options for a prime lens for portraits that can deliver better results than the 70-200mm at either 85mm or 100mm? From the charts and comparisons I have seen, the 70-200mm L is just as good as the primes witinin the range of the 70-200m L.

i love mine the more and more the more i shoot with it. i use it on a 50d, and initially bought it just as a tele to shoot outside sports with as i needed to replace my cheapy 75-300 tamron, but lately i've been using it more and more indoors with my strobes for puppy portraits. when there's space i much prefer it over my 50mm 1.8.

i had heard the same thing about the f4 non-IS being even sharper, but i need the 2.8 for indoor events and IS at these focal lengths with the slower shutter speeds is a great benefit. i dont regret in the least the possibility of having a slightly less sharp lens over the benefits mentioned (if thats even the case as i take those things with a grain of salt).

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 USM L IS - Review / Test Report - Analysis

This is an easy location to see a graphical representation of how this lens performs. At wide-open at the long end, the lens is around 1550 line widths per picture height, center and corner. At f/5.6, those figures go up to almost 1850 center, and a little bit less at the edge. At f/8, the lens peaks, breaking 1850 both center AND edge... hence, at f/6.3 the lens is "amazing", whereas at f/2.8 it's merely "very good".

At 135mm, the lens is considerably better at f/2.8 or at f/4 than it is at 200mm. Used samples of this lens are going for around $1200 at some stores in the second hand or consignment areas. It's a LOT of lens for that kind of money!

Assuming I proceed with this lens,the 4.0L what are some good options for a prime lens for portraits that can deliver better results than the 70-200mm at either 85mm or 100mm?
The EF 85mm F1.8 is pretty good, and a great deal at around $300. I know a several photographers who love the EF 85mm F1.2 L.
There is a new 100mm L, I don't know much about it.
The 135mm F2 L is also a favorite of those who own it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back