Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Lens Question

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by ACTURY, Dec 13, 2008.

1. ACTURY

ACTURY TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am shooting Canon Rebel XS. A friend of mine is trying to cut me a really good deal on this lens.

I am new to photography, not sure what purpose this lens will serve.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

2. AlexColeman

AlexColeman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't really get what you are asking, if you are asking what you can photograph with the lens, it is a telephoto, for taking shots of long distance objects.

3. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Its avery fine lens and a lot of people use the 70-200mm focal range - however if you have no use for a lens then no matter how good it is its not worth getting!

You say your friend is trying to cut you a good deal on this lens - so I am assuming that it is not a lens that he owns and thus it might not be possible for you to try out the lens in person. If this is the case then try getting to a local photography store - the 70-200mm is a popular and affordable lens so its a good change that a store might have one in stock which you can try out in the store. Getting a feel for the focal range is important and might give you ideas for its use.
    I know its used all over the place - weddings, street, walkabout, studio, wildilfe in zoos (hey some of us do! ;)) so the focal length is very versatile.

4. Buszaj

Buszaj TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    As long as the lens is in good condition and you're sure about the deal, go for it. Its definitely a good lens, great for outdoor sports, portraiture, some wildlife; just to mention a few.

5. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

The EF 70-200mm f/4L is one of the great lens. To see some real life example, you can go to flickr.com and search for "ef 70-200mm f/4L". You will see what photographs other people took with their EF 70-200mm F/4L lens.

Also, the Canon "L" lens usually holds it value. If I were you, and have enough money to buy it, I will do it. Chances are even if you do not have much use of it, you can sell it back on the used market.

6. ACTURY

ACTURY TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sorry...I should have mentioned what I was interested in shooting. I spend a lot of time at Car Races, sporting events, and photographing outdooors.

Thanks

7. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    fiddly then - its not really the best focal length for such subjects - a 300mm f4 prime would be a better target - an f2.8 if your really really keen and can find the cash for one - the faster aperture is worth the investment, but its a lens which is outside many peoples reach. The f4 300mm is more affordable and a very fine and fast lens.

The 70-200mm is a bit of quandry - I use one and my main interest is wildlife - where requirements on kit are almost the same as for sports and racing - and my 70-200m is too short for outside work - at least for getting in close - unless you use hides to very good effect to get close. Mine sees most use in zoos and such where getting close is not a problem and the range of sizes of animal and distances from them favour a zoom construction. However its not my complete kit - in time I hope to be able to add a 300mm f2.8 to my setup for longer work