Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L (non-IS) Sharpness Test #2

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by jamesino, Sep 24, 2008.

1. jamesino

jamesino TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I posted a series of sharpness test before on this forum and still unsure whether my copy is sharp or not, I worked on my skill this lens some more and have provided the following images to test. All shots were taken at ISO 100 and Wide open at f/4. The body used was a 400D/Xti and the AF point was selected manually without recomposing. I realized that these shots were not taken on a tripod, but if these shots were, would these shots fall within the acceptable sharpness range of a 70-200 f/4L?

All shots were taken in RAW and converted to PNG in ACR 4.5 without any post-processing or sharpening. The photos are all full-frame with a 100% crop inset.

Test 1
    1/2500, 118mm

[​IMG]

Test 2
    1/3200s, 81mm

[​IMG]

Test 3
    1/640s, 126mm

[​IMG]

Test 4
    1/800s, 149mm

[​IMG]

Test 5
    1/640s, 91mm

[​IMG]

2. petercox

petercox TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Resolution here appears good. I wouldn't worry about the quality of your copy - looks similar to what I get on my 70-200 f/2.8. Your shutter speeds are also fast enough here that the lack of a tripod probably isn't contributing a huge amount to the test.

Colour and contrast are also looking good here.

Cheers,
    Peter

3. jcolman

jcolman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Looks fine to me too.

4. rebelboy

rebelboy TPF Noob!

try to this tips before test and i think you are going to get good results.

5. Montana

Montana TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    They look fine to me too. Do you personally feel its soft? I think you may have unreal expectations of this lens. This is a very sharp lens, and your copy looks fine to me.

Derrick

6. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Remember that RAW is always softer than JPEG as it does not get the incamera sharpening treatment - most RAW photos need/benefit from sharpening in editing.
    Taking that into account I would say your 70-200mm is a sharp lens.

7. Do'Urden's Eyes

Do'Urden's Eyes TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

really? i wasnt aware of that. im looking into shooting raw i should buy a book.

8. Overread

Photos OK to edit
    when you take a JPEG shot the camera applies its own internal sharpening, noise reduction, contrast and white blance to that shot (with a DSLR you get to alter theses settings as to how much or little they are) but they are still added. When you take a RAW shot these settings are not applied to the RAW shot = its raw data.

However all cameras have an inherent level of adjustments to a shot that they do make - ergo why some have better noise control than others - a RAW gets just this basic editing nothing more. Ergo most RAW shots look a little softer than a JPEG shot since the JPEG has already had one round of sharpening in camera

9. Alleh Lindquist

Alleh Lindquist TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The 70-200 F4 is super sharp I prefer it to a 2.8 any day. Then again I don't need a low light lens very often.

10. elemental

elemental TPF Noob!

I'm sure the 2.8 at f/2.8 is not as sharp as the 4 at f/4, but which is sharper at f/4?

I'm not being sarcastic or anything, I'm curious. I shoot a lot of low light and shallow depth-of-field stuff, so I usually end up wide open. Also, my cheap lenses' "sweet spots" are pretty much just the price tags. Except my 50mm f/2s, which absolutely destroy my kit zooms at approximately 1/10th of the price. They may be mediocre for primes, but that's still pretty darn good on the whole spectrum.

11. Overread

Photos OK to edit
    I think the f4 is still rated as being slightly sharper at f4 than the f2.8. However in all honesty we are really into the pixelpeeping zones between the two and a lot of the time shooting conditions are going to be playing a greater effect.
    The entire Canon 70-200 L range are very sharp and good lenses overall - picking is very hard to do, but mostly its done on cost vs usage rather than sharpness - simply do you need IS and f2.8 and can you afford it

12. Tolyk

Tolyk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

What distance were you shooting from? Where are you focusing? Do you need to be shooting at 1/3200th of a second? Why shoot wide open?

Tests 1, 2, and 3 all appear to have one softr eye, but I think it's more to do with shooting at F4 and being close to your subject than about the sharpness of the lens.