Canon EF 75-300 mm f/4 - 5.6 III

75-300mm came with my camera. but retails around 150-200.

I don't think I'd go out and buy it specifically though.

What does the DG or Di LD mean?

If you're going to spend 200 on this than do what village says and spend 4 to 500 on the L

I just got mine 75-300.. (an hour ago in the mail)
I can see why those recommend IS. I am taking it out in a minute if the rain holds off I am hoping to get something out of it but just trying it indoors I'm a little worried I also think my tripod maybe too cheap to hold the frontal weight.. we will see.................

Edited a little later to add....
While I was out I was feeling very unhappy about the shots I was getting, however I just uploaded them and I'm delighted!!
I'm going to go post them in the wildlife forum.
Definitely recommend this lens it doesn't get as much zoom as I was originally after but for the price it was a pleasant suprise.. :)

Here's a sample of my shots I didn't have my tripod with me unfortunately..
b_040957.jpg

So is the Canon EF 75-300 mm f/4 - 5.6 III a good lens for the money and useful to have?
I admit i own one of these and do have a few decent shots from it that surprised me for quality,is it worth the money yes it is worth the money @ 75-300mm ,it is however known as the worst lens Canon makes, it is slow and focus is slow on top of that,i do not recomend it for fast moving subjects its place is more on the lines of still subjects and nature mostly.This lens has a tendancy to require some what more then normal contrast and highlight ballancing, and purple fringe is very noticable

If you can swing it i would spend the 560.00 on the 70-200 f 4.0 L

I admit i own one of these and do have a few decent shots from it that surprised me for quality,is it worth the money yes it is worth the money @ 75-300mm ,it is however known as the worst lens Canon makes, it is slow and focus is slow on top of that,i do not recomend it for fast moving subjects its place is more on the lines of still subjects and nature mostly.This lens has a tendancy to require some what more then normal contrast and highlight ballancing, and purple fringe is very noticable

If you can swing it i would spend the 560.00 on the 70-200 f 4.0 L
Thats not a bad choice but if that's too expensive. I would consider the Canon 70 - 300 f/4-5.6 IS USM. It's quite a step up in optics from the 75-300. The IS will help on those moving subjects(two stage IS) USM focus is good also and all in all it's a pretty sharp lens for the money.

added....the 70 -200 f/4 L is the better choice! at about the same cost

A lot of what I do in my profession now I've learned by accident in addition to college. I've been learning photography the same way I've learned what I do. This forum has been very helpful as well. Made it easier to answer questions in minutes which might have taken me hours or days to figure out.

I recommend you get the book someone recommended to me. "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson will cut your learning time down and give you some great ideas for creative shots.

Thanks all.

Audiobomber I'll check that book out too.

By the way went to Dog park yesterday and used different settings and had a lot of success.I also realized that a lot of the blur was from the way I was taking the shots. Breathing helps!

Starting using the Servo function instead of the AI focus and that produced better results too.

I've been using the Canon EF 75-300 mm for several years now, first with the film Rebel 2000 and now with the XTi. For the money I think it's great. I've taken many decent photos with it (in good light). Now on the XTi with the crop factor it's more like a 480mm so in my opinion that's a LOT of focal length for the money.

I agree though, in lesser light and if anything is moving more than a little bit this lens will let you down.

Dutchboy. I think all the kit lenses I have are great for everyday usage but eventually when I start charging people I would like to make my life easier by having faster and sharper equipment is all.

Fully agree. I'm looking to replace it soon. Acceptable but not good enough anymore for me.

Most reactions

Back