Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by decado, Feb 19, 2010.

1. decado

decado TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm looking for a good wide angle lens to upgrade from my kit EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens (I'm not liking the softness of this lens) for my trip to Montana, Wyoming, and the Dakotas this summer and so far this has been looking like the best choice. From the reviews I've read it has some chromatic fringing at 10-11mm but from 12 on up it's almost L quality glass. Is this true? What are your thoughts on this lens?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  2. cfusionpm

cfusionpm TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    CA is a bit apparent, but only really in the corners at 10-14mm. It is acceptable for my needs, and a bit of simple post processing (Lightroom has a simple de-fringe slider) helps a bunch. I've more or less been extremely satisfied with this lens' performance, but I generally use it for indoor shooting and capturing the room. I haven't had much experience shooting landscapes with it, but I can only assume it would do well.

Here's a nice review of it: Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens Review

Edit: there is a wonderful comparisson between this and other crop sensor super-wides: http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/articles/sigma_10-20_vs_canon_tamron_tokina.htm It shows that the Canon is probably your best bet for that range if you have a crop sensor.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I love this lens, it's my favorite lens for landscapes. It does show some weaknesses at times, but I believe it still rates higher than all the other ultra wide angle lenses in this class.

The main issue with choosing this lens, is that it's significantly more expensive than the Sigma 10-20mm, which is almost as good.

I've posted many examples of my 10-22mm landscape shots on the forum, and you can see more HERE.