canon ef-s 50-200mm

Derek Zoolander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Why is this lens so much cheaper than a Sigma 70-200mm? It gives you a greater focal length right? and it's a canon brand. is the price difference really all in the F #?

Do you mean the Canon 55-250mm?

Why is this lens so much cheaper than a Sigma 70-200mm?
Why is a BMW so much more expensive than a Ford? ;)

It gives you a greater focal length right?
Focal length has less to do with price than the max aperture and quality.

Having a larger max aperutre (like F2.8) will almost always make a lens more expensive...and for good reason. Not only does have to be physically bigger (more glass etc) but having a larger aperture is a huge advantage for a lens. Also, companies tend to make their large aperture zoom lenses, their top quality lenses...so the overall quality is better than a cheap lens.

Compare images taken from both lenses and you will quickly know why.

that was a bad example. i should've said:

why is the canon ef-s 50-250mm so much less than a canon 70-200mm? I guess the L is what makes it so much more expensive?

why is the canon ef-s 50-250mm so much less than a canon 70-200mm? I guess the L is what makes it so much more expensive?
Again, you are comparing a Mercedes to a Hyundai.

And yes, the L does make a big difference...as that is Canon's top of line designation....so they use the best materials and build quality to create lenses with great image quality in mind. When they design other lenses, they compromise quality in favor of price, weight, size, max aperture etc. Every lens company does this, not just Canon.

As someone mentioned...if you go into a store and hold/shoot with an EF-S 55-250 and then a 70-200 F2.8 L IS...side by side...you will have a much better idea of why it's so much more expensive.

As someone mentioned...if you go into a store and hold/shoot with an EF-S 55-250 and then a 70-200 F2.8 L IS...side by side...you will have a much better idea of why it's so much more expensive.
Lets see...you have the 13.8 ounce EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS compared to the 3.5 pound EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM...maybe Canon is charging by weight.

Most reactions

Back