Canon EF vs EFS

mr.mike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,
I have (2) Canon 40D cameras, one carries the EF-s 17-85mm IS USM lens the other has the EF-s 18-135mm IS lens. I just picked up an older EOS 630 with a great EF 50mm 1.8 Now trying to decide which lens to keep, or which to sell? I'd appreciate your input. Any great benefit between the EF-s 18-135 over the EF-s 17-85mm lens?
Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
I have an EOS650. I do not have a prime nor any Canon glass. I have a Phoenix short zoom. A Sigma (i believe) 18-105.
That one (could be Tamron) stays on the 650 most often. And lastly I have a Sigma 70-300. That one works well outdoors in bright light. Not so much elsewhere.
Anyhow I would recommend keeping the 18-135.

I also have FD 100-300, 70-210 and 50mm both 1.8 and 1.4. I plan to get an adapter or three to use that FD glass.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Hi,
I have (2) Canon 40D cameras, one carries the EF-s 17-85mm IS USM lens the other has the EF-s 18-135mm IS lens. I just picked up an older EOS 630 with a great EF 50mm 1.8 Now trying to decide which lens to keep, or which to sell? I'd appreciate your input. Any great benefit between the EF-s 18-135 over the EF-s 17-85mm lens?
Thanks,
Mike
The 18-135 mm lens gives you a greater focal length so I would keep that one.

I need to correct something I said. I either no longer have nor can't find the FD 1.4.
Instead there is a 28mm 2.8 on the other AE-1 body. But I stand by keeping the 135.

I also have FD 100-300, 70-210 and 50mm both 1.8 and 1.4. I plan to get an adapter or three to use that FD glass.

I realize that this is sort of an off-topic splinter from the thread. But I do not recommend getting the adapter to convert FD lenses to EOS mount.

The FD lenses have no electronics and are completely manual in terms of both focus and (once converted to EOS mount) even the aperture becomes manual. Manual focus was fine in the cameras like the AE-1 because it was a large, bright, viewfinder with the split-prism manual focus aids.

Modern cameras rely on auto-focus and the viewfinders no longer have split-prism focus aids and... if used on crop-frame bodies (especially bodies with penta-mirror instead of penta-prism) the viewfinder is smaller and dimmer. Manual focus will be a struggle.

Optics and functionality have improved greatly since the days of the FD lenses.

I've actually had pretty good results using FD glass on my EOS camera. Mostly using them for close-up/macro work using my 30D but I was using them for nature photos for awhile when I had just the 18-55 kit lens. My adapter is supposed to let me focus to infinity but realistically it wont and I have to account for a little bit of light loss.

I think as long as you understand the limitations, adapting FD glass to EOS bodies can be rewarding and much cheaper when you start talking specialty lenses like macro or super wide angle.

FWIW I have a ton of FD lenses and use them on my Sony NEX-5n all the time. There's a thing called peaking mode that makes manual focus easy: it highlights subjects in focus with a color you choose (eg. yellow or white). You focus a bit, zoom in using the screen, focus more, zoom in more, perfect your focus...the nex goes up to 9.5X...and you're all good. Of course this is not good for flying birds or other mobile subjects but for portraits or landscapes where your subject sits still it is great.

(Yes I know the OP started this thread a year ago but feel readers shouldn't be scared off from legacy lenses because of the manual focusing requirement.)

I've actually had pretty good results using FD glass on my EOS camera. Mostly using them for close-up/macro work using my 30D but I was using them for nature photos for awhile when I had just the 18-55 kit lens. My adapter is supposed to let me focus to infinity but realistically it wont and I have to account for a little bit of light loss.

I think as long as you understand the limitations, adapting FD glass to EOS bodies can be rewarding and much cheaper when you start talking specialty lenses like macro or super wide angle.

yeah, old thread but I've heard old Canon FD lenses are actually pretty good on mirrorless cameras (it you understand the limitations)
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Most reactions

New Topics

Back