Canon Elan 7

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by mrsid99, Apr 23, 2004.

1. mrsid99

mrsid99 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

I posted this previously in the "what to buy" section and so far no input but since I refuse to believe that not one of you wonderful photogs own one I'm reposting it here.
    The question is: Does anyone own a Canon Elan 7(N) and if so what's their opinions?

2. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I haven't used the Elan 7, but I considered it before buying my A2e and EOS 5. I felt I got more of my money's worth, even though they weren't new.

The EOS5/A2e has more coverage in the viewfinder and a faster top shutter (1/8000 vs. 1/4000) than the Elan 7. They both have DOF preview and mirror lock-up. The Elan has a newer metering system, but I've never had a problem with the EOS5/A2e. The vertical grip on the Elan 7 can use 4 AA batteries, but it looks like it's a bit clunkier than the one for the EOS5/A2e.

The EOS5/A2e also has 5 fps vs. 4fps for the Elan, more custom functions, and faster flash sync (1/200 vs 1/125), and spot metering.

One of the biggest reasons I picked the EOS5/A2e over the Elan 7 is because they went to using the flash for AF assist in the 7. The red lamp on the older Elan and the EOS5/A2e doesn't blind people or alert them when you are taking a picture in low light. Sure, it blinks a little, but it doesn't grab their attention like that damn headlight. Since a lot of my pictures involve low-light situations, this was of major importance to me. The brighter viewfinder was also important to me for this reason.

The Elan 7 seems to win out when using flash, but I rarely do.

Here's a comparison if you want to see how they fair in what is important to you. If you like the EOS sytem, I think they are both good choices.

3. mrsid99

Many thanks for your input Mark, I've been searching for something like that link, it really lays it out well.

4. havoc

havoc Jedi something or other

I had an Elan 7e, but recently sold it. The lens that came with it was garbage, and the only way i could afford a new lens is to sell my cam and buy a cheaper body with lens. As for the body i loved it. not a huge fan of the metering, but i am not a huge fan of any canon meters. Since i use a spot meter it wasn't much of a problem. If you look for a 7 i would bypass the 7e though. Eye controlled focus is a cool bragging feature, but its really useless in the field. Battery life was great on the 7, i can't see a need for the AA option unless you were using the flash 90+ percent of the time. vertical grip is nice though.
    The camera is very light, unlike your 10D LOL, and as for the difference in shutter speed? I have never needed anything over 1/2000th of a second, much less 4000th or even 8000th. Maybe if i ever nit Daytona and am using 800 speed film i would need it, but other then that, i don't see the need.
    I loved my Elan 7e, but i couldn't live with that shitty lens. If you have lenses already, (which you do if you have a 10D) then i would certainly give it a shot.

5. mrsid99

Thanks Havoc.
    I've been thinking of maybe getting a film camera as a backup and obviously it would make sense to have something that has similar controls/placement and lenses to my 10D hence the interest in the Elan 7, strange how the darkside of photography attracts?

BTW, my 10D is definitely a lump to tote around but it helps me get crisper shots as it damps out my DT's!

6. Cuervo79

Cuervo79 Guest

I read the whole artilce... I prefer the 7n, but hey I don't even have enough money right now to buy new lenses hehe so Its good to know, maybe when I have the money they will have a new one out... by the way, what would be the price on a 7n $700? lol I have no clue I have a 500n

7. havoc

havoc Jedi something or other

There is a 7n? Whats the differences between them?

8. Cuervo79

Cuervo79 Guest

the 7NE is the new one the 7e is the old one thats with the eye focusing, the 7N is the newone without

9. steve817

steve817 TPF Noob!

I agree with just about everything else you said except the part about the AA option. I went with it simply because I knew I could find AA batteries practicly anywhere, I don't think you could say that about the CR123's. I could be wrong. Sorry I didn't reply earlier MS, I have been gone on a 7 day cruise and just got back.

Steve