Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III

prodigy2k7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone have this camera? If you do, im curious what you use it for and what lenses you use...

What kind of a loaded question is this? It could be used for anything and the lenses selected would be fit for that anything purpose.

They use it for professional photography and they use L glass

I meant what do YOU personally use it for and what lenses YOU personally have.

I use mine to make coffee. And the 500 2.8 makes a great paperweight.

I'm considering buying it. I have the current 5D, but it is not weather-sealed, and does not have LiveView. Those are both features I'm interested in for some of the Landscape photography I want to do. Currently I find that I always have to cover up or pack it in when the weather starts getting interesting (misty rain), and I'm tired of squinting through the Viewfinder while I'm composing a shot with a camera mounted on a tri-pod. The LiveView is not really mission-critical, but it would be nice to have.

I am awaiting the 5D Mk. II which supposedly will be weather-sealed and have LiveView before I make a purchase decision. Also, I prefer small cameras, and the 5D has always been smaller than the monster 1D line.

I have a lot of L lenses, but more importantly I also have Leica R lenses, which are another step better than what Canon makes. A recent review of this particular camera praised it, but pointed out that the sensor is now so good that the L lenses are beginning to show their weakness, and that Leica R lenses are another order of lens-magnitude better. Of course, the R lenses don't lend themselves to every kind of shooting, because they don't have auto-focus... so sports (for instance) becomes more difficult.

Fyi, there are good adapters for Leica R lenses to Canon EOS, but none for Nikons.

Leica R Lens collection

I'm considering buying it. I have the current 5D, but it is not weather-sealedI'm tired of squinting through the Viewfinder while I'm composing a shot with a camera mounted on a tri-pod.

Apparently you haven't used a crop format camera in a while, it's much worse. Well, actually 1.6x worse.

I think most of the people on this forum are not up to the level of the 1Ds Mk3, and don't have a budget worthy of a $7500 camera. It's pretty much designated for professionals and doctors with that kind of money. I'm almost certain anybody using one would have f1.2 L primes on it, or they've wasted their money on such an enormous pixel count.

I had the previous version, 1ds markII... I am not considering the 1ds MarkIII or any other Canon at this time.

70-200 f2.8L IS - heavy sharp.. probably one Canon's best IQ zooms... wedding photographers zoom (sold.. to heavy for me to enjoy carrying it. You can't shoot it if you don't want to carry it)
24-70 f2.8L - heavy sharp... wedding photographer's bread and butter. (sold... a bit too short of a focal range for walk around zoom..)

I generally prefer to shoot with primes... The 4 that I carried often:

24mm f1.4L
50mm f1.4
85mm f1.8
135mm f2L (one of my favs that I was sad to see go. Contrasty and sharp)

I also acquired the following along the way:

100-400L IS - longest zoom from Canon. Very versatile lens.
24-105L IS - General walk around lens. Good balance.. very versatile.
Tamron 35-105 f2.8 Aspherical - Oldie but goodie.

Several life changes occurred and I realized that what I needed was something to continue my enjoyment of photography which didn't necessarily mean I needed equipment intended for "work" or "profession". I ended up keeping the 100-400L, 24-105L, 50mm f1.4, and the Tamron. The lenses are paired to my 2nd digital body, a well used 1d MarkII and a 1vHS film camera. The rest have been sold and the $$$ spent on other equipment that I actually enjoy more.

The viewfinders on the 1dsMarkII and 1dMarkII are fairly bright compared to other cropped bodies. Yeh.. hated the viewfinder in my D30 (3.2mp) and hated the ones in the rebels demo'd at the store.

Yeah, I'm using a Nikon D80 and it's pretty bad. Not quite as bad as a D70, but still not very fun for landscape photography.

One thing that I have read briefly about is an issue with the AF system of the 1Ds mk3 that Canon has yet to truly fix. That would worry me on a $7500 camera.

The AF issue affected the 1D markIII. It has been fixed as far as I heard.
There could be a few out there that didnt get the fix,but i wouldnt let it worry you its a simple fix ..

If the 1d markIII is in you future, I still would recommend discussing with your retail person prior to purchase.

Unless you consider a hardware (mirror) fix with firmware a "simple fix", it is something to bring up.. just to make sure.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back