• Total voters

ShaCow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
shacow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all. I would just like to ask, after reading reviews, prices and ratings on both the Canon EOS 300d and the Nikon d70 I would like your opinion on which camera overall is better, and better value for money, and if so, what price to pay for each.

I was seriously thinking of going for the Canon EOS 300d, but after a friend of mine told me that the Nikon d70 was 100% better then the 300d im confused now (as you do when choosing a camera.. hehe)

please, someone out rule the descission for me..

thanks in advance, Shaun (SK):hail: :hail: :hail:

The D70 isnt that much better than the canon but it is better, but on the other hand its more expensive. Remember when you buy an slr that its all about lenses really, not bodies

thank you for your opinion. I would be happy to do firmware hacks.. hehe.. who wouldnt.. teehee.....

ive read that a lot of the d70 users have had problems with dust on their image sensors... is this just operator error.. and if dust does get onto it.. whats the best way to clean it yourself?

regards, Shaun

ServerKill said:
ive read that a lot of the d70 users have had problems with dust on their image sensors... is this just operator error.. and if dust does get onto it.. whats the best way to clean it yourself?
Dust is an issue with any digital SLR.

This is what I use - http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning

why not consider the 350d? it's not that much more than the 300d and is a good amount better as far as image quality and abilities. but to pick from those two, d70 (or the d70s) wins. it is a more professional camera than the 300d, even more than the 350d. my overall suggestion is the 350d if you want to shoot canon, otherwise the d70s.

It all comes down to what works for you really. Go to the store and hold them both and shoot them and see which one you like the best.

Yes, Why not consider the Canon 350D as that is roughly the same price as a D70 if not cheaper and much better than the 300D as its the next model up.. You should consider all your opinions and read reviews about the cameras not just take your friends word for it. Also make sure you go into a shop and have a hold of the cameras and have a go see what they are like and which you prefer to hold...

I was in the same boat about a month or so ago. I ended picking up a barely used 300d body with kit lens,50mm f/1.8mk1 lens, 1gb memory and two batteries for 565 shipped on Ebay. It was an incredible deal and I then had enough money left over to buy a couple other quality lenses and a nice tripod. So a year or so from now when I have some money again, I plan on upgrading my body to a 20d or 5d (i can hope).

Since I was new to the SLR world, my plan was to go with the company I felt will have the best DSLR bodies in the years to come and spend the money on the lenses. I really enjoy my 300d and it has only failed to produce good results due to my user error. I really didn't like the kit lens and I am glad that I was able to get some nicer glass on it right away.

I wouldn't say either one is "best" - but each one fills different needs. I've gotten a ton of great shots out of my 300D but I know a lot of folks with the same experience with their Nikon.

Unless you're planning to use the camera with one lens and no flash (defeats the point of slr), you're bying into the system right now... not a camera.

Nikon seems to have better flashes
Canon's lenses autofocus faster
Canon has full frame bodies, nikon doesn't
Canon's CMOS sensors perform better at high ISOs
Nikon's "cheap primes" seems to be of better quality than those of canon.

Good luck deciding :D

I would buy a Nikon any day, you can't better the quality of their Nikkor Lenses, well thats in my opinion...does anyone agree with me?

You pay the price you get the quality!

DocFrankenstein said:
Unless you're planning to use the camera with one lens and no flash (defeats the point of slr), you're bying into the system right now... not a camera.

Nikon seems to have better flashes
Canon's lenses autofocus faster
Canon has full frame bodies, nikon doesn't
Canon's CMOS sensors perform better at high ISOs
Nikon's "cheap primes" seems to be of better quality than those of canon.

Good luck deciding :D

haha. exactly. now why couldnt we just use canon bodies and nikon lenses and still meter? whyyyy? :)

Most reactions

Back