Canon EOS-30D for a beginner??

Why get a new camera? If you are just starting out you could save a lot of money getting a 10d or a 300d instead of a 30d.

If you've never used a digital SLR are things like high iso noise control and pixel count going to be your biggest concerns?

No, trust me, if you spend thousands on a DSLR, and you don't like/are not any good at photography, you will be mighty ****ed. As an Aussie(see you can trust me:p) I recomend going with a film slr, and a prime lens, they are much cheaper, and often bettter than most DSLRs (that is reasonably priced ones anyway). If you really want to learn about your craft, it is imf*********ingperitive you slow down and really learn about light. Little timmy down the street with his 350d will be wowed when you've sunny 16'd your way to a perfect street shot and hes still playing with his 'macrofunctions'
Okay. I'm being arrogant. But it's been a bad day.
just trhowing in my vote for a film slr.

Luke makes a point, that I would like to expand on: whether you go digital or film, the vital aspect of photography remains the same, and you should understand it completely. You're going to take light and reflections, and squeeze them through some glass on to a surface that will record that image. That surface might be film or a sensor, but either way you will need to understand aperature, shutterspeed, and sensitivity. These are not rocket-science, though as hobbyists we like to totally get lost in this language. Nonetheless you will want to completely "own" this knowledge. I believe you can't be an artist without being a craftsman (or woman) first.

Iron Flatline said:
Luke makes a point, that I would like to expand on: whether you go digital or film, the vital aspect of photography remains the same, and you should understand it completely. You're going to take light and reflections, and squeeze them through some glass on to a surface that will record that image. That surface might be film or a sensor, but either way you will need to understand aperature, shutterspeed, and sensitivity. These are not rocket-science, though as hobbyists we like to totally get lost in this language. Nonetheless you will want to completely "own" this knowledge. I believe you can't be an artist without being a craftsman (or woman) first.
RIght on. It's like what i was saying, only coherent. ;) thanks

A 30D is a very good camera that comes with a big price tag too. If you really feel that you are going to be REALLY into photography, get it, you'll be happy with it and it will help you learn a lot.

If you are not that serious and want to learn more, get a used DSLR like a 10D or 300D, or get a cheap film camera like the K1000. I have one of these is an it's still one of my favorite cameras. Mine doesn't even have the meter working and it's the best thing that happened to me, made me really observe and think how to use the camera. With film, you have to make every shot count so you tend to think more about what you are doing. Instant gratification in a digital is awesome for experimenting and learning more about the camera.

Just remember that no matter what camera you get, the gear does not make the photographer. They are tools and you have to learn how to use them to get the best out of them. Take you time to learn the basics of photography and you will see that your skills improve in no time.

Good Luck!

I got a film Rebel k2 a few months ago as a lmy first SLR. It was about $250 but the features of it are fantastic. It is just like a digital Rebel except it shoots on film. If you have a decent scanner or you get it developed on those photo cds then you will be fine for a while. After a while when you are sure you like it you can upgrade to a DSLR

I just got my first DSLR last week, and it is a Canon 30D. Since then, I have been taking shots of anything I can get my lens on, and I do not regret it one bit. I was thinking about getting a Rebel XT first, but after doing much research, decided to go with the 30D. With the XT, I would probably just want to upgrade eventually anyway. In the end, I decided that I wanted to learn on something that I could grow with. Besides, I like the heavier body, and to me, the extra features are worth the extra money. I have a long way to go before I become an advanced user, but I'm willing to invest the time and practice on techniques. If you are serious about investing your time as well, it will be worth it for you. You ask, is it a really bad idea to go with a 30D if you are thinking about your first DSLR? No, I don't think so. Even if you went with something cheaper, that doesnt always mean easier learning.

the 30D is fast and allows you to take brilliant shots. A little point and click or slowe camera coudl frustrate you more. If you can afford the 30D get it. with the 20D I have I learnt so much so fast it was fanatastic. The speed and quality helped me realise and study so much more and so much faster than the point and clicks I had used. Light starts to take a whole different meaning

Michael
http://www.plinkme.com

Most reactions

Back