Canon EOS 5D Mark II

The major issue with the 5D Mark II is the now infamous "Black Dot" issue. This is caused by a conflict within the camera's internal software and large contrast variations. Should be fixed within a month using a firmware upgrade.

I pose this question: Why spend 7K on one camera when you could just about get 3 5d Mark II's? Any reputable distributor, i.e. Calumet, offers a complete protection plan. That means if you get mad and take a hammer to your camera, once you come to your senses you can bring it in for a new one.

With the increased weather sealing on the 5D Mark II and the superior L series glass (obviously the ones for outdoors), one could afford to do without. With this said, if you are going to be in the elements and cover is not an option, the 1D series is the way to go.

There are some great prices on used 1Ds Mark II's, why not go that route?

Just some thoughts.

-Nick

In this case just make sure highlight tone priority is off until the firmware update. -Shea

People are still having the issue with all of that stuff off.

The major issue with the 5D Mark II is the now infamous "Black Dot" issue. This is caused by a conflict within the camera's internal software and large contrast variations. Should be fixed within a month using a firmware upgrade.

I pose this question: Why spend 7K on one camera when you could just about get 3 5d Mark II's? Any reputable distributor, i.e. Calumet, offers a complete protection plan. That means if you get mad and take a hammer to your camera, once you come to your senses you can bring it in for a new one.

With the increased weather sealing on the 5D Mark II and the superior L series glass (obviously the ones for outdoors), one could afford to do without. With this said, if you are going to be in the elements and cover is not an option, the 1D series is the way to go.

There are some great prices on used 1Ds Mark II's, why not go that route?

Just some thoughts.

-Nick

Because the 1Ds MKIII is an old camera in the world of digital bodies and the 5D MKII is just matching the specs. Canon's next big camera will probably be the 1D MKIV and 1Ds MKIV. One of the execs said they were already working on the DIGIC V processor before the 5D MKII was officially released.

Plus the 1Ds MKII has dual DIGIC III processors and can shoot at 5fps, write to two cards at once, and has a faster and more accurate focusing controller.. There's more features besides that, but they're there and I'm sure that in several months time, the new $8000 1Ds MKIV will blow the 5D MKII out of the water.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back