50D + 18-200
IMG_0246.jpg

5D mkII + 24mm F1.4 mkII
IMG_0240.jpg

new grip
IMG_0241.jpg

new wifi grip
IMG_0242.jpg

oh yeah this was a pre production model so the release version have have different firmware etc etc etc
5D mkII
ISO 200
full image resized
IMG_0099resize.jpg

100% crop of above
IMG_0099crop100.jpg

ISO400
full image resized
IMG_0097crop.jpg

100% crop of above
IMG_0097crop100.jpg

ISO 800
100% crop
IMG_0008.jpg

and for a laugh
ISO 25600 100% crop :lol:
IMG_0012crop100pc.jpg

Camera feels great, I hated the 5D but this new version is very nice.

As for the video, the reason behind it is the Press, they wanted video that they can grab a still from and put in a newspaper. And the video is very nice, not sure I'd ever use it but im not covering those sort of news events

Last edited:
one thing I didn't like about it is that it uses the same AF as the old 5D but with better algorithms

shame on you canon!

oh and the new battery, didn't like that either

cool...

(fellow in the past pic looks like he just climbed out of bed.. hehehe lol)

ohh thats hair!! I thought it was noise :lol:

what did annoy me though was the fact that they didn't have any 50D's to play with

I guess they didn't want people to see how much better the 50D would focus, compared to the new 5D :er:

Thanks for the sample shots...the detail looks pretty good. I wonder why in the portrait of the bird crop the eyes look so blurry? It was shot at f/5 so it seems like the whole face should be in focus...not to critique but I'm just wondering about the IQ. Also it looks a bit hazy?

I guess they didn't want people to see how much better the 50D would focus, compared to the new 5D :er:

Thats what we thought

Well I not a fan of the old D30 layout and when the 5D came out we'd already had the D30, D60, 10D, 20D and 30D and all of a sudden we have a £2500 body that has that same layout as cameras at over half the price. The AF is not up to sports, airshow or wildlife speeds to me, the mirror/shutter box design sprays the sensor with oil and makes sensor cleaning a nightmare, so much so that we have stopped cleaning 5D's. And although the build quality is good it stills feels like a lump of plastic, you have to understand I've been using EOS 1nHS, EOS 3, EOS 1d and an EOS 1D mkII, at the time of release we were selling the 1D mkII for the about the same price as the 5D. To me the camera felt wrong, had the wrong layout and was too slow.

It just seems to me that Canon are all about pixels these days. Nikon on the other hand have gone for build quality and picture quality. I know which one I'd rather have. I just hope that there will be a EOS 7D on its way with about 16mp and a bit faster.

In all honestly who would buy the 1DS mkIII these days? The 5D mkII has must of the spec of it but is over half the price

Thanks for the sample shots...the detail looks pretty good. I wonder why in the portrait of the bird crop the eyes look so blurry? It was shot at f/5 so it seems like the whole face should be in focus...not to critique but I'm just wondering about the IQ. Also it looks a bit hazy?

I did wonder that myself, to be honest there were a lot of shots that were soft and I was using lenses picked by Canon so they should of been there best, also I was using my friends 70-300 DO and 24-70 F2.8 both of which I know for a fact are Sharp! and we did have a play with his old Zeiss 85mm F1.4 AF that has been modded to AF on the Canons :lol:

I shoot birds of prey all the time and I never have to stop down to far to get the eyes in focus, even with a fixed 300mm, I think the shot I posted was about 200mm? so I can't figure it out.

To be honest I don't think that a lot of Canon lenses are up to those kind of resolutions, but you never print at 100% and I always sharpen my shots a litlle anyway so maybe I'll have a play at editing one of the shots tonight

thanks for sharing :)

So why, why on earth did I just stock up on those old batteries :(

thanks for sharing :)

So why, why on earth did I just stock up on those old batteries :(

so you can carry on using your wonderful 5D that doesn't need replacing?

so you can carry on using your wonderful 5D that doesn't need replacing?

I got gear acquisition syndrome sometimes :blushing:

BTW, the no name batteries I bought failed miserably though, Canon and Ansmann batteries were doing fine, even at low temperatures around and below freezing, but the no name ebay batteries sometimes died after 20 shots ...

I got gear acquisition syndrome sometimes :blushing:

BTW, the no name batteries I bought failed miserably though, Canon and Ansmann batteries were doing fine, even at low temperatures around and below freezing, but the no name ebay batteries sometimes died after 20 shots ...

never buy ebay batteries, they are just terrible

and I know all about GAS, there are times I wished I've never picked up a camera

---Well I not a fan of the old D30 layout and when the 5D came out we'd already had the D30, D60, 10D, 20D and 30D and all of a sudden we have a £2500 body that has that same layout as cameras at over half the price.---
Well I’ve not handle as many models as you. :lmao: My EOS experience has been with the 1, 10D, and 1DMIIn and to me the two control dials location or more important that the tweaks to the buttons.

--- The AF is not up to sports, airshow or wildlife speeds to me----- To me the camera felt wrong, had the wrong layout and was too slow. ---
Canon’s AF with sports as a whole is driving me crazy. It seems to have extreme duel personalities.

I ones through too that speed was extremely import to sports shooting, but I am staring to believe timing, practices and bit of good luck are more important.

--- the mirror/shutter box design sprays the sensor with oil and makes sensor cleaning a nightmare---
Do you know if this was addressed?

---.It just seems to me that Canon are all about pixels these days ---
I am under the impress the one pixiel can only records one color tone. Is that correct?
So would more pixiels improve color dynamic range? (I hope dynamic range is right term)
Plus it helps with cropping.

Last edited:
the mirror/shutter box design sprays the sensor with oil and makes sensor cleaning a nightmare, so much so that we have stopped cleaning 5D's.

Well, I always clean the sensor by myself. And I realised after about 4000 shutter actuations, the sensor became easier to clean and stayed clean for much longer periods of time. So that would be the excess oil being gone finally?

Most reactions

Back