Canon EOS Digital Rebel VS Nikon D70

photosoup guru

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hmm, as some of you may know, I am just getting into digital photography. Well I am torn between the Canon EOS digital rebel for CAD $1,299.98 (with a Canon EF-S 18-55mm lens)... or the Nikon D70 for CAD $1,329.98 without the lens... If I get the digital rebel I can get a canon i9900 photo printer... If I get the D70 I can only afford a 70-300mm lense. What do you think?

Canon SYSTEM is better for sports. Pros use it... u should use it too.

And don't buy the kit lens for the rebel. It sucks.

If it's a straight choice between the cameras then I'd recommend the Nikon D70.
For reference, I own a Canon 10D (and love it to death!) but having handled the D70 and a Digital Rebel there's no doubt in my mind.
If however you already own some Canon lenses then maybe it's worth a rethink.
Just my $0.02 worth.

And here I thought was going to go the whole weekend without ANY suicidal thoughts at all...................Oh well, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go clean my gun now.

malachite said:
And here I thought was going to go the whole weekend without ANY suicidal thoughts at all...................Oh well, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go clean my gun now.

Oh dear....sorry if I offended you or any other Canon owners, just giving an honest opinion, please forgive the heresy.
For what it's worth, if you want to put the 10D (or the 20D) into the mix then obviously I'd vote for that.
Now put that gun down!

From your other thread I gather you wanted a zoom, so even if you buy the rebel you'd have to get a zoom lens for it anyway.

As a straight choice the D70 is a much better camera than the rebel and that's what I'd go for.

As has been mentioned though the Canon 10D is dropping in price and might be worth a look too if it falls to within your range.

Canon SYSTEM is better for sports. Pros use it... u should use it too.

Yes. If you want to go out and spend $10,000 on professional sports shooting equipment. :roll:

The 10d is dropping in price because it's been discontinued. I'd save my $$ for a bit longer and get the 20d. That's what I just upgraded to, and it's spectacular. Not much more $$ than the d70, and it outstrips it in every category by orders of magnitude.

Ant said:
Yes. If you want to go out and spend $10,000 on professional sports shooting equipment. :roll:
Not a big argument. Are you saying that Nikorr lenses are cheap?

Or are you implying that if he goes Nikon way, a 100$ 70-300 will outperform Canon pro equipment? :roll:

Sorry to bring this up but didn't Nikon blow the canon rebel out of the water with the release of the D70? :roll:

DocFrankenstein said:
Ant said:
Not a big argument. Are you saying that Nikorr lenses are cheap?

Or are you implying that if he goes Nikon way, a 100$ 70-300 will outperform Canon pro equipment? :roll:

No. I'm implying that I read his other thread and that I'm aware that he doesn't want to spend lots of money buying into a full system and so your advice to buy a rebel because the pros shoot Canon was just irrelevant.

Patrick said:
Sorry to bring this up but didn't Nikon blow the canon rebel out of the water with the release of the D70? :roll:

Not at all. Given the choice between only those two cameras, I would definitely go for the Canon. The d70 has a faster burst, but the Canon's sensor is superior.

Shark said:
Patrick said:

Not at all. Given the choice between only those two cameras, I would definitely go for the Canon. The d70 has a faster burst, but the Canon's sensor is superior.

You've got to be joking right?

The D70 is better than the rebel in every regard except for price and the fact that the rebel can go to ISO100.

As for the sensor being superior....that's very debateable.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back