Canon EOS Rebel K2 or T2 (Noob needs some advice)

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Pkboi24, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Pkboi24

Pkboi24 TPF Noob!

Hi Guys,

Went to the camera shop today. They told me the repairs for my Canon 1000F would be over US $100. I figured I might as well get a new camera. I'm not trying to spend too much since I'm basically still a beginner and wouldn't know what to do with $1000 camera. So I looked into the newer Canon Rebel cameras. The K2 is essentially half the price of the T2.

As far as I can tell, the only differences are that the T2 has a faster max shutter speed (1/4000 as opposed to the K2's 1/2000) and has full auto and programmed modes for exposure compensation which the K2 lacks. I have no idea what the latter is. Can anyone explain to me how it works?

If you were me (a poor college student just getting into photography and about to take a photography class.) Which would you pick?

--Peter

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    The K2 should be good enough. It's nice to be able to use a fast shutter but it's not that important. The auto exposure compensation is nice but again, it's not necessary.

3. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

Exposure compensation allows you to alter the amount of light the camera lets in to lighten or darken the picture. It's a nice to have feature, but you can recreate it's effect perfectly by increasing or decreasing the exposure time manually.

It's used in circumstances you think will screw up the camera's meter such as a person against a sunset, where normally the camera would make a silhouette of the person, and you want them perfectly exposed, so you brighten the image by two notches. It goes from -2 to +2 or thereabouts normally.