Canon EOS Rebel T2 question

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by PhotoDonkey, May 26, 2008.

1. PhotoDonkey

PhotoDonkey TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    My wife has the Canon EOS Rebel T2 35mm SLR. We're having a problem when she's trying to adjust the shutter speed. She'll get it up to, say, 1/250 second exposure, and the next "click" will put her back down to, say 1/60 second exposure instead of going to 1/500 second exposure.

This appears to happen in both Manual and Shutter Priority (Tv).

Is this a problem with the camera, or is the camera trying to correct for lighting to get a proper exposure?

Thanks for any help.

2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    strange - is the flash up at the same time?
    I am nots sure about which model the T2 is but I have one of the Rebels (though by the UK name of 400D as opposed to rebel) and the shutter speed is maxed at 200 if the flash is up - but it won't reset the speed to a lower one, it just won't increase it.
    This might be a feature of this model, but if its with the flash down then I would hazzard that there might be a fault

3. PhotoDonkey

PhotoDonkey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, the flash is down. I sent Canon a message, but, unfortunately when I bought it earlier this month I got the display model, and my wife misplaced the documentation, so we're probably out of luck for any type of warranty service.

However, the automatic settings and Aperture priority are working. Perhaps there's a way to reset the camera. I'm going to look into the documentation to see.

4. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    There is a reset settings option = in the menu the last tab on the right - Clear Settings. That would remove any settings that might have been set in error.
    As for the warrenty - you could contact the shop - even if you lost your documentation the shop should still have a record of the transaction - with proof of id for you it should not be a problem. Besides the store might contact canon on your behalf anyway to avoid all that paperwork

5. PhotoDonkey

PhotoDonkey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I couldn't figure out how to reset the camera (it's a film camera, so there are no tabs in the menu that I can find, such as on my XTI), but my wife is going to call Best Buy tomorrow and see if there's anything they can do for us.

Thanks for the input.

6. PhotoDonkey

PhotoDonkey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    She got it working, but I'm not sure how or why.

In other news, I ordered her a Canon Rebel XT body. A guy I work with has one and is able to use the lenses from his EOS with it, so her lens should work with it, as should mine. She's looking forward to shooting digital.

:thumbup: