Canon EOS XSi users!!

Hey CAG76, I read your squirrel thread and you asked for some shots people have taken with the Canon XSi. So I guess I'll start off this thread with some of mine :p.

Some of these pictures I have posted before and some I haven't. All of them were taken with a 100mm F2.8 Macro lens.

25644tn3.jpg

tpftd9.jpg

28655078uo2.jpg

12920464ad4.jpg

img0313ci3.jpg

img0279ee7.jpg

f8thephotofourmswt3.jpg

img0982zf8.jpg

img0162wv8.jpg

Wow! You took those with a macro lens? I will have to find that lens. I am actually wanting to get an EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM. Have you had any experience with this lens? I like it because it's a distant macro, or so I've read about. It's so that you don't disturb the subject like while taking insects that my scare away when you get too close.
Anyway, your pictures are amazing! I know it sounds funny, but I have an XSi and like to just see other peoples pictures not only to enjoy what people have taken but to also show me what my new camera is capable of. :) Thanks for sharing! Please feel free to add more or do you have a web site with more photos?

-Christopher

Oh and thanks Samanax for the links. I am looking at those now! Quite impressive. I know it's too early for me to think about moving up, but I want to save up for one of those Canon Mk III cameras, but I would like to have a few good lenses in my collection first.

I know it's too early for me to think about moving up, but I want to save up for one of those Canon Mk III cameras, but I would like to have a few good lenses in my collection first.
I think almost everyone gets caught up in the equipment frenzy when they get into DSLR photography. I know I would love to get a better body and more lenses, but for now I am forcing myself to concentrate on working on my skills and will upgrade once my XTi can't do what I want it to do (which may be never at the rate I'm going). I can justify getting a new lens here and there, but not a new body. I do plan to get some strobist equipment soon and some radio triggers. But I really want to improve my shooting skills so that justifying new purchases is easier to explain to the wifey.

Work on your skills.

Get good glass.

Get a new body when your current body can't cut it or the shutter gives out.

Definatly agree with Samanax - get good skills and good glass first and upgrade the body last.

AS for macro work the canon 180mm L macro is a very good macro lens - however its cost is very high. Consider the sigma 180mm macro which manages to achive the same level of image quality at a fraction of the price of the canon;

Juza Nature Photography
the same reviewer even regrets moving to the canon;
Juza Nature Photography

no denying that its a very good lens, but its cost in comparison to the sigma just makes the sigma a more affordable choice for those with more limited budgets.

You guys have all given just awesome tips. Samanax, I like what you said! I do want to get as much as I can out of my XSi! I know and feel it will do exactly what I want it to do when I learn all that I need to learn and know. I am to a point now where my XSi stays on the 'M' setting now. I will still use TV and AV for different things, but now I just mostly keep it on 'M' which is really causing me to full with the Aperture and the Shutter speeds also while selecting the proper ISO to go with it. OH I am loving it!!

Overread, I am going to look at that Sigma lens you mentioned. I'm not at all married to just using Canon lenses and supplies. I wouldn't mind jumping into something cheaper with the same exact quality.

-Christopher

Most reactions

Back