Canon Extender EF 2x III any good?

TonyUSA

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

Been using Canon 70-200 2.8 IS ii with Canon 50D and the zoom length was good for swim meet. I was using that lens with 5D III today and very disappointed with the less zoom length due to 1.6 crop on 50D. My question is Canon extender 2x III any good? The quality of the photo with extender on will be the same as without Extender?

Canon Extender EF 2x III | Canon Online Store

Thank you,

Last edited:
The extender (teleconverter - everyone calls them this only Canon doesn't) is very good - BUT - its a very demanding bit of optics.

Doubling the focal length of any lens is asking a lot of the lens performance wise; and the teleconverter will be a big magnification and will highlight any weakness in the optics; it will also impact AF speed and accuracy (losing two full stops of light); impact on IS performance and highlight any weakness in shooting method of the operator.

In general this lens can take a 2*TC - I use one now and then on my 70-200mm f2.8 IS L MII and the lens performs decently well. Sure its not outstanding; but for a zoom it does very well with the combination. You will see an image quality difference and you might want to close down to f7.1* or f8 just to get a bit of sharpness back instead of shooting wide open at f5.6

However if you're just trying to get over the difference between fullframe and crop then I'd strongly suggest a 1.4TC. Sure it won't get you all the focal length back; but its a much more forgiving set of optics and indeed the 70-200mm will perform outstandingly well with it. You are likely to get far more use out of it for what you're describing above.

There is a third option, albeit much more expensive and heavier - which is the Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS. However I would only suggest that if you really need that extra reach whilst at the same time not in as much need of the wide end and only if you're shooting in those ranges enough to justify such a high cost. Also note that the Sigma is a much heavier lens than the 70-200mm (ideally you want a monopod at the very least with it - you can shoot handheld in good light with a fast shutter speed; but a monopod is a much needed help for fatigue if you're shooting away from a tripod for extended periods)

*(that's only one stop down from wide open - remember f2.8 native - goes to f5.6 with the 2TC so one stop down is f8)

Thank you for your well explanation. I guess I will have to do 1.4 then or go back and use 50D when I am at swim meet.

With Extender 1.4 at 200mm on 5D III, would 20"x30" print will come out bad?

Last edited:
Actually there is yet another option, sigma also made a 100-300mm f4 which is a little heavier than 70-200 but not by a whole lot. From what I've heard it's a really good lens and a lot cheaper than the 300mm 2.8. No image stabilization but with good technique you can some great shots.

I'd probably go with the 1.4 tc myself. I use both a 1.4 and a 2x with my nikkor 70-200 mm 2.8.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back