canon film cameras

rom4n301

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
im just curious as to why canon isn't making anymore film cameras except the 1v. i think its ridicules that they just completely stop rather then just produce lesser amounts. kodak is coming out with new films and canon is stoping making camera, i just dont see the logic, personally i prefer film over digital anyday

Doesn't Canon still make the Rebel too? I still see them for sale...

Aren't many Manufacturers reducing the number of film cameras they make?

Aren't prices for most film cameras less than for a digital camera (which is basically just a computer with a lens and a shutter)?

But, at the same time, don't I read or hear stuff on the internet and in the news about photography, that photography might someday go BACK to film, that digital is just a phase, and will be "out" within a few years?

What to do, what to do....

Last edited:
And at the same time Fuji and Fuji/Voigtlander come out with the new 6x7 folders. You can't figure where film is going nowadays. Not away, that is for certain. I think it's just trying to find its new place in this world.

But, at the same time, don't I read or hear stuff on the internet and in the news about photography, that photography might someday go BACK to film, that digital is just a phase, and will be "out" within a few years?

What to do, what to do....
I don't see film ever coming back to where it was. Digital is only in it's infancy where noise, tonal range and resolution are concerned. Of course, preferring film myself for a number of reasons, I hope I'm wrong. But, can you imagine shooting film with an ISO of 6400?

As you said, Canon still makes a 35mm film camera.

Aren't prices for most film cameras are less than for a digital camera (which is basically just a computer with a lens and a shutter)?
Nikon makes the fully-manual FM10 with a cheap kit zoom for around $300. They also make the mother-of-all-film-cameras F6, which is nearly $3000 for the body alone! Clearly, film is not dead yet.

There are two reason manufacturers only make one or two film cameras these days:

1) The camera you use for film is completely irrelevant. A $50 camera will take exactly the same pictures as $2500 camera, because it's all in the film, so they don't need 10 different cameras with different sensors like they do for digital.

2) The only people using film these days are amateurs like me who want to experiment and learn (that's who the FM10 -- and a buttload of used film cameras on eBay -- is for), and seasoned pros who need all of the latest features like matrix metering, AF with AF-S lenses, several AF sensors, iTTL flash, etc., but still want to use film.

im sure many pros out there use film also, but i think that canon just making 1 film cam now, the 1v, is just crazy cuz its like1600 dalla and for a film cam thats just a tad bit to much i think, if they started making the ae-1 again or atleast reparing it ... i would be beyond jolly

There are still many used film cameras out there... I have a Canon 10s that I bought used, I love it.

Crusie eBay and you'll learn three things. Film cameras are sold everyday so film photography is alive and well. Film cameras are sold everyday and they can be had cheap so film photography is alive and well. Film cameras are sold everyday and they can be had cheap so don't try to fund a jump up by doing so yourself.

And film photography is alive and well.

My understanding was that Canon produced a whole lot of film cameras to fill their stock shelves just before retooling their manufacturing for digital camera bodies. I just checked their website (USA version) and they only list the 1v. If my understanding is correct, maybe the 1v is all they have new in the warehouse. (btw.. 1v is an awsome camera)

Other manufacturers have ramped up film cameras. Voigtlander for example released their latest iteration of rangefinders last year. Zeiss also released their newest Ikon rangefinder with a whole line of lenses. Of course you still have the MF and LF film camera makers as well. But as rangefinders and MF are nitch market products, I think film is headed in the same direction... but still doing well.

But, can you imagine shooting film with an ISO of 6400?

Delta 3200 or TMax P3200 are very capable of 6400 ASA. I'd also imagine that either of them ($6) in my film cameras ($21 Ricoh, $30 Pentax) would produce much better results than my digital SLR setup at 3200 ($1000).

I don't know much about color films though (don't really use them), but I realize cameras like the new 5D are making this irrelevant. Only thing is good luck getting one for $36.

I have just been wishing that Canon would make a digital body that would accept the manual focus FD series lenses. Sort of a Digital A-1.

What are the odds of that ever happening??? :lmao::lmao: <-- That's what I thought!

Quite simply they're not making them because there's no money in it. Their only market would be people who have a pathological distrust of buying second-hand; everyone else realizes that they can buy one of the millions of used cameras now in circulation for a tiny fraction of the price of a new one. :)

Of course if you really want to pay over the odds for a new film camera, Holga/Lomo will happily rob you :lol:

I have just been wishing that Canon would make a digital body that would accept the manual focus FD series lenses. Sort of a Digital A-1.

What are the odds of that ever happening??? :lmao::lmao: <-- That's what I thought!

Adapters to mount FD lenses to EOS/EF bodies do exist.

Most reactions

Back