Canon Film Scanners

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by CMan, Nov 28, 2006.

1. CMan

CMan TPF Noob!

Nov 6, 2006
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm wanting to buy a film scanner, and I've been looking at Canons. They've got really good specs, but they are pretty cheap. I mean, the 4400F has 4800X9600 resolution, 48 bit color, USB 2.0 capability, everything you'd ever want for $100. And the 8600F and 9950F are even better, but still cheap.

Anybody know if these are good, and why they are so reasonably priced? Link below.
  2. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

Jul 4, 2005
    I have the 8400F - it's great. Obviously the image quality is not as good as I'd get from a dedicated scanner, but I find it good enough to make prints from and easily good enough for web use. Plus I can use it to scan 35mm negatives, 35mm slides in their mounts, and 120 film, and use it as a general purpose scanner too. The only problems I've found are: with 120 film you have to make sure it's really straight, and you may have to play around with the settings a bit (or possibly use some other software like VueScan) to get the most out of it, but I think it's well worth the effort. If you want to scan negatives, but either think a dedicated 35mm scanner is too expensive, or think you might want to scan other film formats and other media too, then get one. It will be $150 very well spent.