Canon Flash Capability

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by photogincollege, Aug 11, 2007.

1. photogincollege

photogincollege TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey all me again, i was wondering if anyone knows how well canon works with remote flashes and which flash is best for canon, can sb600 and 800 only go on nikon, they are made by nikon arent they?

2. gtkelly

gtkelly TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    the sb600 and sb800 are Nikon. They might work in manual mode.

Check out this site (http://www.strobist.com) for some neat ideas regarding off camera flash.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Canon brand flashes, 430EX & 580EX, will allow for remote firing and control. You need a 'master' on the camera, which can be a 580EX or the ST-E2, which is only a master, not a flash. The 580EX can be used as a slave to either another 580EX or the ST-E2. The 430EX can only be a slave.

In this system, you retain E-TTL flash metering and you can set power ratios.

An alternative would be to use radio transmitters and receivers to fire the flashes. This is a more reliable wireless connection but you no longer have E-TTL metering, and you must set the power and exposure manually. You can use any brand of flash for this. Good quality radio transceivers (Pocket Wizards) are not cheap. For this method, see The Strobist.