Canon Flash Question

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by tacomadm18, May 20, 2010.

1. tacomadm18

tacomadm18 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't have a external flash for my Canon Digital EOS,,, was thinking of getting the Speedlite 270EX,,,,(just for those times when you need a flash, better then the built in one) how much better is it than the built in one,,,, I'm on a tight budget,,,,,,

thanks

2. robertwsimpson

robertwsimpson No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Anything is better than the popup. Just make sure that you can aim it up, or better yet, swivel it too. After you invest in a flash, invest the extra $50 and get a radio trigger. you'll cry from all the good lighting.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The strength of the flash is rated using it's GN (guide number). Your built-in flash is probably 13 meters and the 270EX is 27 meters. That's a good deal more power. The next flash up is the 430EX with a guide number of 43 meters.

The big benefit of an accessory flash like this, is that you can tilt the head which allows you to bounce the light. This can vastly improve your indoor flash photos. The 270EX doesn't swivel (Like the 430 & 580) so you can't turn the flash (for bouncing off the ceiling when shooting in portrait, for example).

The 270EX, like other accessory flashes, uses it's own batteries, not the camera's batteries. It uses two AA batteries (the higher models use four).

My advice would be to stretch your budget for a 430EX...but it may be a big stretch.

There are also other brands of flashes that will work with your camera. Like this one, for example Nissin Di622 Speedlite for Canon ETTL/ETTL II Camera Mounted Flash Ni/Di622C - Vistek Canada Product Detail
    I can't vouch for their build quality or how well they work with Canon cameras, but they are a good deal cheaper for the power & features you get.

4. AlexL

AlexL TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i thought the 270EX is capable of a 90 degree bounce as indicated in this review ---> Canon 270EX

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It is, but only in the vertical axis. If you turn the camera 90 degrees, the flash can only tilt right to left, it doesn't not turn/swivel like the higher end flashes do.

6. robertwsimpson

robertwsimpson No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My flash also has a built in diffuser and bounce card, which are very nice features...

7. fransener

fransener TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would not recommend 270EX - it does not offer much for the money. Either invest more and get a 430EX II, or go cheap.

Don't get me wrong: I don't question the 270EX is making good light within its limits, but it's expensive for the limited features and weak - the guide number of 27 is at the 55mm setting, but only 22 at 27mm, and that is a much more relevant focal length.