canon g5, worth it?

needhelpeeps

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I found a canon g5 for 50$. Given that the camera is several years old, do you think this is a good deal or will it likely break down soon? From what I am seeing all this megapixel jazz doesn't mean much, I tried a cheapie out that saved in huge resolution but the picture still wasn't sharp. I am thinking this camera, even though old, is probably still better than the 100$ jobs at walmart but then again I only have experience with one of those cameras. Thoughts?

Ya, it's fine. The camera will last a long time. When I looked at it, I was sure it would be a good deal for $50.

Do you ever get blurred images with the AF for no apparent reason? I took some photos today and some photos are GREAT but other times every image would be blurred and this is at the same spot with fair lighting, with the same levels of camera shake, I don't get it? I reset all the defaults, hoping that helps. Also there is some tiny little yellow box in the middle of the viewer. Why is that there, I can't find it in the manual. It's annoying and seems to serve no purpuse. I already know where the middle of the viewfinder is lol When it does take a good picture though, wow, what a difference compared to my old nikon cp5600! Whoever said the equipment doesn't matter what lying to himself lol

Edit: Just found the missing section of the manual that's entirely devoted to AF problems! That should help :)

Last edited:
Ok buying used wasn't a good idea--LENS error and the camera won't turn on. Spent the last 4 hours trying all kind of tricks to no avail. I guess the camera had bigger problems than I realized. Won't be buying anymore used cameras. The 35mm's seem like they last forever but digitals just fall apart after a couple of years, guess I will be shopping for a lens for the 35mm!'

Most reactions

Back