Canon G6 or Canon Digital Rebel 330D

amoki

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi, I'm currently considering buying a high-end camear for my new-found hobby (heh), and came across this two digital cameras.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Canon_PowerShot_G6/4505-6501_7-30994103-2.html?tag=tab

http://reviews.cnet.com/Canon_EOS_D...Body_only/4505-6501_7-30519911-2.html?tag=top

[Despite what the review says, what I'm getting is a 300D with Canon Lenses]

I am probably going to buy them from digitalfotoclub.com (international order!). Price tag for Canon G6 = USD 504.95, while for the Digital Rebel = USD 695.95 (below MAP, which is 799, I know. But from resellarratings.com they are one of the best top 20 online stores with 1000+ reviews and don't use hard-sale tactics Brooklyn online camera stores are notorious with). I may add in some more accesories, but I will not worry about that for now.

I am looking for the best bang for my bucks. I'm not really that good at lenses or stuff like that (in fact,I don't know anything about it). I'm working on a pretty limited budget, and is somewhere around 600 USD with Shipping, but might add another 200 USD I can buy a SLR camera (which sounds pretty.... sophisticated :D ), but again I am trying to get as much as possible with as less as possible. I want something that has the best overall performace, and not that hard to maintain or use for an amateur. Also, I'll probably want something that last for, say, 5 years maybe?

Both cameras has their merits, IMO. The G6 is a 7.1 megapixel camera while the Digital Rebel is a 6.3 megapixel one. The former is easier to operate but doesn't allow too much room for lense attachment, while the latter is a SLR digital camera (which I am not really familiar with, but may pick up over time).
and I can change lenses when my wallet allows me to :) There are other pros and cons - read the CNET review

So anyone with any suggestion on which one I should choose, or any other suggestion on a cheaper but better camera? I'm not in a rush, and may make a decision in 2 weeks' time.

Anything in bold is my priority.

hi and welcome to the forums...

i think youll find that the majority of the people here will tell you(along with me) to save up for the 300D. look at it this way...

300D :

interchangable lenses
bigger sensor
better feel(ive owned the G6)
more gadgets and accessories

G6 :

smaller sensor
no lenses
less quality glass(in my opinion)

while the G6 had great picture quality, you shouldnt limit yourself to looking at only megapixels. MP's have little to do with overall quality. sensor size and lens selection will quickly become your main weapons in determining your camera.

and lastly, as others have stated on this very forum..go with the one that feel s best in your hands. cant go wrong there.

good luck!

matt

I agree...the Digital Rebel is the best bang for the buck in terms of a good digital camera. The new 350D (Rebel XT) is a nice improvement over the 300D but you may be able to get a good deal on a 300D, which is still a good camera.

as you collect lenses for an slr, you can just update the body when you need to and keep the lenses. you will get much more bang for the buck that way. SLR's are less restrictive and are easier to use imo

willg133 said:
as you collect lenses for an slr, you can just update the body when you need to and keep the lenses.

100% agreed. There's nothing more frustrating than one day realizing that your equipment is outdated and none of the parts you have for it will work on any of the new toys.

hmm... aside from EF-S 18-55mm f/ 3.5-5.6 lense, what other lense I might need if I consider the Rebel Digital 300D? And what kind of lense is that?

all canon ef lenses are available to you..you could go for a wide zoom range or a prime lens (no zoom)....the point is that as you progress in photography the rebel won't be holding you back if you want to upgrade. you can upgrade your glass and use it with the rebel, and eventually just get a new body when you feel like upgrading it. with the point and shoots, you are stuck...if you want some extras you have to get camera specific attachments that will surely prove less than adequate for complicated shots.

I have heard good things about the 18-55 efs, but i have not actually tried it yet (give me a week..the 300d is in the mail), but you can get a cheap telephoto zoom lens to walk around with, and a good 50mm prime to put on when you need to make crystal clear photos.

The lens that comes with the Rebel, will give you a basic, every day views. The focal length 18-55 would be considered ultra wide on a film camera but because of the 'crop factor' on this camera...the field of view will be equivalent to a lens with 1.6 times the focal length on a film SLR. Confused yet? Don't worry about it.

I would suggest getting the Canon 50mm F1.8 II. It's the least expensive Canon EF lens but one of the sharpest. After you have your camera for a while, you will know what lens to get next. It might be wider, longer, faster etc. Depends on the type of shooting you do.

hmm... are all canon lense compatible with the Rebel 300D? And where is the best place to get started on this lens things? I know the best experience probably comes from haveing a go at the camera, but... anything I can prepare in advance?

All Canon autofocus (EF & EF-S) lenses are compatible. Plus there are other companies making lenses for Canon EOS cameras...Sigma & Tamron for example.

Quite a great bunch of people here use Sigma lense. Are they any good?

Another thing - I've heard a lot of things about people wanting to buy Nikon SLRs but always got themselves a raw deal. Are Nikon SLRs that great, and how does it compare to Canon?

the nikon vs. canon debate is fruitless....just go with whatever feels good for you...

they best glass from both companies will be damn near the same to the viewing eye.

md

Some Sigma lenses are great, some are not so great...same as Canon or any other lens maker...typically you get what you pay for. You can usually save a few dollars with Sigma/Tamron over Canon Nikon...for similar quality.

Nikon has a great DSLR, the D70...but please don't get the Canon vs Nikon debate going again...it's like Coke vs Pepsi or Ford vs Chevy. Each company has it's own good & bad points and in reality they are both very similar.

The D70 is more comparable to the Canon 20D than the digital Rebel.

i just got my rebel in the mail today...i have taken only about 150 pictures, but the thing is great...soooooo much faster and easier to use than a point and shoot.

Most reactions

Back