Canon grip BG-E2 issues

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by JonK, Jan 22, 2007.

1. JonK

JonK I want MORE!!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I recently sent my BG-E2 grip in for the free grip repair per there service bulletin: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...ct&fcategoryid=215&modelid=10464&keycode=2112

I got my grip back but haven't been able to test it out because they neglected to repair another issue I had noted to them; that of the broken 'dial assembly' that wouldn't allow me to remove the grip from the camera without using brute force.
    To make a long story short I took it apart myself to find the problem. Turns out the dial itself is made entirely of plastic including the gear in the middle of it which must mesh with another, more robust gear which is made of metal - you can guess where I'm going with this....the metal gear shredded the plastic teethed gear on the thumb dial rendering it useless.

Anyway, I called them up and they sent me a schematic from which I could choose the part I needed which you will see in the pic below.
    It was $35 CDN plus shipping (i needed it quick as I'm heading out of the country) for a total of $47 CDN.
    I just hope this one has been upgraded to metal.
    My grip is the first generaton BG-E2...I do believe they addressed some issues with it in later versions.
    Hope this helps anyone who may be having similar problems.

schematic
    [​IMG]

shredded gear
    [​IMG]

metal gears the dial meshes with
    [​IMG]

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Good to know, thanks.

I've been thinking about a BG-E2...even about the E-bay clones. If I do get one...I'll try to make sure it's a 2nd generation model.

Do you remove the grip a lot? I can see that the gear would wear out with a lot of use...but I would think that this is one of those accessories that wouldn't be taken on and off very often.

I have heard that even when it's tight...there can still be a bit of flex or wobble in the connection...is it possible that you over tightened it?

3. JonK

JonK I want MORE!!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey mike....i had problems from the beginning with it coming loose and being wobbly so was always tightening it but basically i rarely took it off. over time I guess the action of over-tightening to try and compensate for the wobblies shredded the gears.
    I sincerely hope the new bit I ordered has a dial with a metal gear in the middle.
    I'd heard rumours of this problem almost from the get go but if there was a fix it came to late for me to get it under warranty.

Incidentally the parts came from Canon Canada in Calgary.

4. oCyrus55

oCyrus55 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't mean to be a thread high-jacker, but do you guys enjoy these vertical adapters?

5. JonK

JonK I want MORE!!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes.
    It holds two rechargeables and allows me to cruise through an entire wedding shoot without having to change them out....plus the controls on the vertical mean I'm not performing gymnastics with my arm all day. Also, it increases the physical size of the camera allowing those with larger hands a more secure/comfortable hold on the camera.

6. oCyrus55

oCyrus55 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Alright, Thanks