Canon Guru's, What should I do?

There isn't much difference between the 30D and 20D, so you might as well go with the 20D or 40D, but as said before, you can get much better glass with the 20D.

Sorry, but there is a significant difference between the 20D and the 30D ....

On the 20D (and earlier 10D) you can only adjust ISO in full stops. Starting with the 30D, you can adjust ISO in 1/3 stop increments. That's huge .... that's the difference between nailing the exposure or only getting it "close" .... (my opinion only, folks!) ....

But I will go along with the opinion that lenses are a bigger and longer term investment than the camera body. Fast lenses are never out of style and are always the best in low-light situations.

Memento what camera do you have now and what do you intend to use it for?

21FGJ0G6SKL._AA160_.jpg

Stylus 410

I've never rely paid too much attention to "photography".
But now that I have a two year old daughter, I've really been taking a lot of pictures.
The problem, blurred shots and back of heads.
I started looking for a camera with a faster start up time and shutter lag.
That's when I realized you have to pay for speed (dSLR).

I went to a store to check out the XTi and made the mistake of picking up the 30D.
The plastic feel of the XTi was kind of a turn off.
Hence wanting the 30D... until I learned the 40D was coming out.

But now that I have money burning a hole in my pocket, I can't find anyone that has a 40D in stock.
So that's when I started thinking about a 20D(which, to ME, is the same as a 30D but cheaper).

I plan on continuing to save money for good lenses, regardless of what body I get, it will just take a little time.

I'm just impatient and want a good camera, yesterday.

welp... supposedly, I just bought Adorama's last 40D.

should be here in 4-6 days.

yaee!!!!:bouncy::headbang::boogie::clap::biggrin:

I've never rely paid too much attention to "photography".
But now that I have a two year old daughter, I've really been taking a lot of pictures.
The problem, blurred shots and back of heads.

Ok just today I've received some 40cm x 60cm test posters back from www.foto.com developed from full resolution, hand held, daylight (snap) shots on the 350d with the 24-105L IS lens. I wanted to see how well the camera would do at this size so I had a couple of prints developed and I have to say I'm absolutely thrilled with the results! It's seems to be a huge photo as to say a poster you'd buy at the record store. It's not super razor sharp and you won't use it for stock shots but advanced amatuers will not complain and it certainly would get you by at a wedding if your Big 1D died in the middle of a job.
And who said the very slight softness in the image was the body's fault anyway? Lens, Hand held, printers all have a part to play but let's play Devils Advocate. The posters will be going on my wall to be admired.

My point is based around overkill from what you say you want to use your camera for I'm really gonna suggest the 400d and the 24-105L lens IF you're unsatisfied with the 18-55 kit lens (it's a good lens, very very good for snapshots). Yes it feels very light and plasticy but when you put a 70-200mm L lens and other bits on it you'll soon be glad that it's a bit lighter. But what's cool about it being so light and small is that used with the kit 18-55mm it fits into your jacket pocket, great for comfort and great for sneaking into places. I've had my 350d for 3 years now and no bits have fallen off it or broken and I'm notoriously heavy handed.

As for taking pictures of the back of people's heads well no camera in the world will save you from that ;0p

I say buy for what you need and if it's sure to be non commercial then 400d is my sure vote.

Hehe I missed the bit where you have made your purchase! duh! :0)

Good luck with your new Cam!!!!

:lol: thanks Ray.
for what it's worth, I did read what you wrote.. :cheers:

Matt

I was just at Best Buy last night to pick up some DVD-R's and stopped buy the camera department, They had a 30d and 40d sitting right next to eachother and both had $1499.00 price tags for the kit. Now I've seen a a few 20Ds on ebay with battery grips and a few extra odds and ends for $600.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back