Canon kit lens upgrade... here is what I was looking at.

LokiZ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Thinking about the

Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM for Canon

to replace my kit lens for my rebel XT (D350)

Will this work and any opinions?

I would have went with the Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC Macro minus the HSM but I can't find anyone who has one in stock.

Does anyone know if sigma is still making them the older style that is. I have read the reviews on the non hsm one and it looks like a good step up from the kit lens for the price.

Any opinions welcome.

Any reason (aside from price) that you don't want the HSM version? Myself I find having all the time manual focusing as an option to be a great thing (especailly if you combine it with backbutton focusing).

I have never used the all the time focusing option but you have a very good point, and I to would think that to be a great option. Since I have never used that yet I would probably miss it just yet. But once I have a lens with that feature I am sure there will be no turning back.

I was thinking if I could get the non HSM I would also pick up a

Normal EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens

that also has fairly good reviews for a decent price.

Nothing is set in stone as of yet of course.

Another thing to coniser though (and this might not be an issue for the older version of this lens) is the fact that sigma has to revers design their canon and nikon mounts (as to all 3rdparty lens makers) so older lenses can sometimes need rechipping in order to work on newer end camera bodies.
Like I said I have no idea if this will be a problem for your choices but its something you need to be aware off.

Also based on that lenses price I'm guessing that your budget is around $450?

yep $450 is pretty much my budget at the moment. Would a D350 Rebel xt be considered a new body. I have had it about 3 years not I believe.

I am open to looking into other brands that would do a good job with about the same spread focal wise.

I'd recommend the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 or the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8.

If you are going for an upgrade over the kit lens, you might as well go with a lens that has a constant max aperture of F2.8.

If you are going for an upgrade over the kit lens, you might as well go with a lens that has a constant max aperture of F2.8.

2 :thumbup: s UP

I have the Tamron 17-50 2.8 and I like it. It doesn't have FTM though.

:thumbup::thumbup:

It looks like I will be going with the Sigma lens Big Mike suggested.

Thanks for all of your feedback it was very helpful. Now all I have to do is try and not think about how long it will take for it to get here. :D You know, watched pot never boils and all that.

Thanks again everyone!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back